Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

HID Kit

Old 08-03-2004, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vinyl Dye

I bought a 6000K H7 Retrofit HID Kit, and i have to look for a solution for the Ballast. The Kit is one from the http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/ and the ballast is the Philips LQV-212 (ECE marked) just for information about dimensions.

MY PROBLEM IS:
Here in Europe we have to face a lot of weather condition such as deep fog, heavy rain, foggy winters and so on.. so i need to keep the ballast as safe as i can from umidity or water. :x

At the first attemp, a placed one in the left near the battery and it was well hidden inside the chassis, but the other one was too near at the ABS block, so i decided to remove the kit 'cuase i was scared about shorts @ 24k volts...

My fear is when i had to go to work and leave my car in the parking square, during winter when there's too much umidity, or fog, or rain and i'm afraid about the ballast ignition.. so i have to find a solution to "incapsulate" it or do something like this the let it totally isolated fromt the chassis of the car and perfectly sealed against rain etc.

Any solutions ? Are there any kind of plastic box for the ballast that i can buy aftermarket ? :roll:

I was thinking to a cheap solution like using plasting bags & tape but it was a bad job.. so i ask you if you can give me any ideas abuot that 'cause i'd like to get back to the xenon as soon as i can 8)
..BTW, *where* and *how* did you do to place the right ballast ?

THANKs!!
Old 08-03-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Custom Short Shifter.

According to the link above, their ballasts are "Fully sealed" and "Operates in all conditions and temperatures".

Do you have different ones or is there something that I am missing?
Old 08-03-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Custom Short Shifter.

no, you are right, maybe it's only a stupid fear oops.gif

but i was thinking more to the *real* sealing... i know that ballast use even outside these kits, but i always noticed cars with philips/osram oem hid systems where this ballast was sealed again into a plastic box near the headlamp.. (i.e. the VW Golf 5 series equipment)

i already saw two OEM D2S xenon bulb exploded in my life (one dued to a bad base, the other one dued to the salts cooled down not in the middle "bubble" but too near at the end of the bulb.. i mean dued to some kind of bad salts evaporation during the ignition with a following short) and as consequence of a burned bulb, the ballast had overcharged itself until creating a great short.. this is why i was asking to some way to protect more the ballast even against meteorites lol.gif ... and most importat is for the right one who need to stay too close at the ABS block

..but if some peolpe placed an aftermarket hid kit on this car, i should think that this is only a stupid thought after all wink.gif
i'll try to put back the kit & try again...
Old 08-04-2004, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Interior Paint Ideas

Yeah, I probably would not worry about it.

Do these things heat up? If heat dissipation is not an issue, then you could just manufacture yourself a little box and use some sort of waterproof sealent to seal it up.

If the box does heat up (which I don't think it does), I would not reccomend putting it into anything though.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Interior Paint Ideas

Well, just back up their sealing man. Get some High Temp Silicone Caulk and go over all the joining seams and any place water could possibly get in.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:44 AM

Default Re: 2004 BMW Z4 Mirror

Ok. Job Finished. Back to the Xenon 8)

This time, i tryed to plug the kit in the best way possible.
Now, i sealed everything (from the ballast to the relay switch, just in the case) and put back the HID.

Ahh!! i love this headlights color wink.gif

Now, with my poor little camera (Sony DSC-P32) i take a little clip of the ignition and the cut off.

1. Excuseme for the low quality, it's just a digital camera not a dv-cam
2. It's 12:30 and outside the sun is strong. It's a perfectly sunny day. So the showed cutoff at the wall is only for demostrate the precision of the pattern, not the lightpower..
3. Even if it is hard, try to notice the difference with the parking/position lights, and at last with the fog light.. they really seems yellow smile.gif
4. The ignition takes 3/4 seconds to arrive at full charge. At the beginning you will see the common blue/violet flash turning to white while charging.

For info only: The bulbs are the real Philips Ultinon @ 6000 Kelvin rebased on H7 bulbs. The Ballast are original Philips LQV-212 (E4)

http://www.brfstyle.com/temp/xeno.mpg

Tell me what you thik about this ... wink.gif

Tonight i will test it on the road.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:50 AM

Default Re: HID Kit

those are cool as hell mang.... i love how when they turn on it seems like the bulb almost has to "warm up" to get to full lighting capability... very nice man.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Window Tinting..

The last picture, then i will no loger bother you wink.gif

Old 08-27-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Re: thoughts on airram and bbtb

Just removed.

I was on the street right behind a car bumper when i noticed the left light starting to turn into a creamy white color 8O

DAMN!! i was thinking to be near a short ...
so, as fast as i get back to home, i disconnected all the kit (13 min.!) and put back a couple of H7

I don't know what happened, but i was very scared about blow everything The left xenon bulb was perfectly right in his place, and it was good too, no sign of short or broke or crack something like this...

mmmm.. ok. for now, back to the halogen again.. i'm really sad 02.gif
Old 08-27-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: thoughts on airram and bbtb

it started to go... ???creamy??? thats odd. i'd call up the manufacturer and see what they say dood