Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help! Starting Issue..

Old 04-21-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish you would have mentioned the having your dash apart earlier. I am thinking maybe something is disconnected. As I drive a stick (no clue what your car has) I tried disconnecting the clutch safety switch to see what would happen if I started without it. All the lights, radio, and clock die and there is a click under the dash and that is it.

I am beginning to think you unhooked something or something came loose and finally disconnected itself.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:21 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

i have an automatic.

i was messing with the ignition wire (the yellow one that's always hot) a little because i hard wired my radar detector to it and also my alarm is connected to it (i was messing around because the alarm is screwed up) but i don't think that's the problem otherwise i wouldn't have any power.
what about the wiring harness (that little connector thing it reminds me of a BIG serial port?) on the lower crash panel? does that have anything important that could maybe lead to such a problem? are there any like important grounds or something behind that lower crash panel? i'm confused and pissed.. :angry:

the weirdest thing is that NOTHING has changed in the car (except i put in a better battery) since the last jump start..the one that was successful 2 nights ago.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:29 PM

That is why I think you disconnected something or something came loose. I would crawl back under there and check all the wires.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:10 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

That BIG serial port as you call it is the OBDII port where you connect a scantool to read codes from the ECU. You probably knocked off a wire when you were working under there and it is now completely disconnected which is why the car will no longer run at all.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:49 PM

anyone have any idea of what wire this may be?..
Old 04-21-2005, 03:29 PM

could be anything man.. get under there and look around. I would start with the wires you disturbed while working on your alarm. There is only so much we can do over the forums, you still need to get down and dirty and look around for yourself.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:05 PM

well...i got a different battery and i was able to jump it.
once it was started i disconnected the battery and the car stayed running (alternator's good, whew!)
left it idling for 45 minutes to ENSURE that the battery would be charged.
go to start it.....click---dead!
now im really pissed.
the battery has free testing+charging at wal-mart, so i jump the car again and go to wal-mart. when i get there after waiting forever they finally hook it up to their charger and it comes back saying "Battery is good, fully charged, charge time=0" meaning it was always full..
!?????! im starting to get a little short with the workers (especially this one lady who insisted we wait once the test was done because she was too afraid to unhook the alligator clip and wanted someone else to do it. i said i would and she wouldn't let me...)
so i take it back out to my car and then i notice that my loops are corroded as HELL. they look fine when they're on a battery, but once you disconnect it you can see the bottom of them and it's a thick white ring..i scratched those off with the only thing i could find---a ratchet. popped in the wal-mart battery and it started on it's own. yay!
so then we get back to my friends house and i stay there for awhile, but when i go to leave it was the same thing.....click----dead.
made a glass of baking soda and water and scrubbed the hell out of the battery and the rings, jumped the car, and now it seems as if everything's working correctly.
god what a waste of two days and a lot of time for nothing more than corrosion and a bad stock battery.
anyway, at least my car starts now!!
thanks for all you guys' help, if it wasn't for you guys i think i would have shot myself..this pissed me off SOO much. lol.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:49 PM

LoL

Well look at it this way dude, atleast it wasn't your alternator or anything laugh.gif
Old 04-22-2005, 07:31 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Glad you got it sorted out and it wasn't anything major.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:52 AM

You know.. corrosion on the battery is something everyone should check first thing. I should have mentioned it, I have been marooned by it more than once in my 18 years of driving