Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help! Starting Issue..

Old 04-19-2005, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

k the fuse is fine. guess i'll just get a jump....if the alt is bad i am going to be truly pissed.
i guess if it is good thing tibbychick is selling them for cheap.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:07 PM

OMFG.
okay so i jump started it and it took awhile but finally got it started.
drove for about 20 mins and everything seemed fine. im almost positive that the alternator was working fine too because i had the all the lights on, stereo, gauges, radar detector, el pedals..all on and working fine didn't notice any dimming or anything, and i don't think the stock battery could handle running all of that flawlessly for 20 minutes..
anyway, so i drove over to my friends house, we sat around for awhile and about 45 minutes later i tried to start the car and it was like completely dead.
we got the cables out, tried to jump it again and while the cables were connected i had FULL power, my lights were bright and everything and then i tried to start my car (while they were still connected) and as soon as i would try to turn it over everything would die instantly (it wouldn't even start to crank) and my dome lights and stuff would just go completely black.
it almost makes me think i have an ignition problem (starter?)...either that or i suppose it COULD still be the alternator and i ran the battery so dry on my last drive that it's gonna take a long time to have enough juice to be able to crank...however if it is the alternator i'll be super pissed i had it rebuilt ($75) 2-3 months ago.
not sure if this is related to the problem, but i've noticed that in the past month almost everytime i start the car it either starts really suddenly and sort of jumps, or it starts hard and i have to crank it awhile (not THAT long, but longer than usual) before it will start.
what could be the problem? i want to believe it's not the alternator i am so frustrated. car is sitting in my friend's driveway like 10 miles away. :angry:
Old 04-20-2005, 12:13 AM

Alternator means dynamo right laugh.gif

If you jumpstarted it and it just died it's probably the starter. Can't be the alternator because you draw power from the other car's batterij/alternator (rev it up to about 3k rpm to have the alternator give more output).

Don't think it's the batterij. If it runs normal once it does, I think it's the starter. But you never know :unsure:
Old 04-20-2005, 12:39 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

rolleyes.gif Its either the battery or the alternator... The starter has nothing to do with the charging system.

Depending on how long you had it on charge, yes, the car can run 20 minutes with everything running.
All that stuff doesn't take nearly the amount of power to start a car... refer back to my other post.

Yes, when you were jumping the car, you had 2 batteries in parallel, so everything would be on (but its not a good idea to have lights and everything on when jumping a car, because those accessories will be taking power that could be used to charge your battery).

Did your friend have his car running when you jumped your car? That would of helped. It can take a couple minutes with the 2 batteries together to charge enough to start your car.

If I were betting I would put most of my money on the alt and the rest on the battery.

Like I said in my last post... take your car to autozone or somewhere like it. Have them check the alt. If that checks out ok, have them check the battery.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:55 AM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

It sounds like a battery problem to me, if it was the alt the car wouldn't run (plus you only just had it rebuilt). The car will start when you jump it, so the rest of the system is OK. Check the battery treminals, even if they look OK clean them with a wire brush or some sandpaper, not only the posts on the battery but also inside the connectors. If that does no good, try another battery (borrow 1 from a friend).
Old 04-20-2005, 01:15 AM

re-evaluating my opinion.

Depending on the way the jumpstarting was done, I'd say the battery/starter

please leave the little starter alone rolleyes.gif
Old 04-20-2005, 08:44 AM

the terminals are pretty corroded.
if it was the alternator wouldn't the charger MIL come on? i remember last time the alt went it came on and then the alt died like a day later.

the first time we jumped it his car was started, and we just let them sit together with the battery's connected for about 5 minutes and it started slow but finally got it goin.

then when it went dead again we did the same thing, he had his car started and as soon as we connected the battery's up it's like i had full power, my dome lights were really bright but the second i would try to crank it it would lose ALL power. we even left his car running connected to mine for about 10 minutes.

if i get it started again i'll just pull the battery while it's running to see if it's the alt .. but i don't know how i'll get it started again, everytime i try to turn it over (even jumping it) it clicks and everything goes totally dead.
the second time we left the two cars connected with his running for a long time before trying to start mine again..that battery should have had enough juice, and my dome lights were really bright .. not even as bright as the first time we jumped it (so that suggests the 2nd time it had as much or more power and still couldn't start)

i'll clean the posts again with some baking soda and water, then try again i suppose. if that doesn't work maybe i can find either a big charger (maybe one that has an engine crank) or another battery to test from.
i really don't think it's the alternator because i got no indicator light, and i had the car running for such a long time with the headlights and everything which i don't think the battery could have handled without at least dimming out (and i kept watching for it) also that i just had it rebuilt.

starter/ignition sys. is out of the question right? it's most likely a simple battery/alternator problem?
i guess i could use a new battery anyway .. after 114k i guess you wouldn't expect the stock hyundai battery to be that great.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:01 AM

What do you have as far as a sound system/lighting system putting extra strain on the battery?

Take the thing to autozone and have them test it...
Old 04-20-2005, 09:20 AM

there's no autozone..
i live in a really small town (4000 pop.?) we have a small car quest, a united auto, and a wal-mart
Old 04-20-2005, 09:36 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Sounds to me like the battery should be replaced. If you got 114,000 miles out of your original battery that is great. If there is anywhere in town that will test your battery you should get that done first just to be sure.

When you try to start the car and all you get is clicking the battery does not have enough power to turn over the engine. That could even happen if you try to boost the car and the connection is not good.