Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help With Replacing Starter?

Old 08-09-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I drive a 1997 Tiburon FX and the starter recently went in it. I've located the starter but have been having trouble accessing the second bolt on it. From the hood of my car, I'm able to reach the starter but it's difficult to see it let alone get in there with a ratchet. Underneath, I can get to the bolt closer to the inside of the car, but can't see nor reach the one closer to the front bumper.

I've looked around the forums but haven't been able to find anything too helpful other than bolt sizes and the location of the starter. Could anyone who has replaced the starter in their first-gen Tiburon give me some specific advice as to how you went about locating (and more importantly reaching, even with an extension) the bolt on the front of the starter?

Any help is appreciated - thank you!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

According to hmaservice, you have to remove the air duct/air cleaner box all the way to the throttle body, as well as the speedo cable. I believe this should give you the access you need...
Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

If i remember correctly, the heads of the bolts are on the driver's side, the bolts go first through the tranny and lastly through the starter.. so you should be able to get to them.
There was one tranny bolt in that area for which i had to use a wrench (not socket/ratchet), don't remember if it was a starter bolt tho