Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help Pleast Tibby Trouble

Old 06-20-2008, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I have a 2001 tiburon and I am having a bit of a problem. Recently it started idleing a bit low. And sometimes when i stop the car or put it in park it just shuts off. Any ideas?
Old 06-20-2008, 07:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Adjust your idle.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:40 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

There is a screw on your throttle body that you can adjust the idle with. Look on Hmaservice.com for the exact location.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:43 AM

Do you know where the screw is?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>There is a screw on your throttle body that you can adjust the idle with.</div>

^^^^^

you will see it, and if you don't, better take it to a shop lol. i wouldn't adjust it though, i would fix your IAC or whatever the real problem is.

the TB is supposed to be closed at idle and thats what the idle air control motor/valve is for. if you try adjusting it with the screw itll act funky.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

when is the last time you changed your plugs, wires, ect? tune up shit. don't adjust your idle screw fix the problem.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:05 AM

plugs maybe 3 months or so ago. Wires on the other hand....never
Old 06-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Banned

check your plugs, check your filters, take a look at the plugs.

are you throwing any CELs?

had any rain recently? did this happen after you got gas in it?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Could be a number of things...

PCV, MAF, IAC, TPS, vacuum hoses, really clogged air/fuel filter, plugs, wires..

I would start by getting the CEL code read, if you have one. They do this for free at most auto parts places, and all AutoZones.

Next, make sure your MAF is pointed in the right direction. You haven't done any work recently have you?

Check all your vacuum lines. One may be pinched, loose, or corroded. Does the problem seem to get less after the engine has warmed up? Make sure to check the big hose going from the IAC to the IM.

Verify the IAC is working. Start the car and pop the hood. Do you hear a slight "sucking" or "buzzing" sound coming from the IAC?

Have you ever changed the PCV valve? You could remove this, and try sucking through the one end of it. If you don't get any air, it is clogged. It will taste bad, but it won't kill you. I'm sure there are better ways to test this, but this is the quickest.

How many miles on your car? When is the last time you changed your air filter? Do you have a CAI?

What kind of TPS do you have? Before the idle problems, was the throttle ever weird or erratic at times? These are signs of a bad TPS.

Depending on your mileage, the plug wires and clogged fuel filter are probably not the problem.

Adjusting the idle screw on the TB is a temporary fix, but I would definitely FIX the problem than get around it.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

hey my tib is having similliar problems, it has never died on me but it shakes really bad and the idle just flucutates like crazy going from 800 all the way up to 1200 and just flips inbetween, i have brand new plugs, cai, and 84,000 miles, i also am wondering how to fix this, unless mines a different problem