Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help! Need Advice On Rusted Bolts

Old 10-29-2008, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

So I started installing new struts and springs about 2 weeks ago but got stuck by this bolt I can't remove. I've tried using an impact wrench, loads of pb blaster, nothing seems to be doing the trick.

Then on the back one the nut here rotates with the bolt and there's no way to grip the bolt from behind, I was thinking about just dremeling the nut off the bolt because nothing seems to be working on it either.

I don't really have access to a torch, other than maybe a propane one but I don't think that would really do anything. I'm pretty frustrated with this whole thing because it's really simple, if it weren't for these rusted nuts and bolts. Any suggestions or advice are welcome...
Old 10-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Try the torch, then get destructive. Nobody wants to cut nuts but that's where you are.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Tuscani Tiburon

Have u tried hammering it out? I think thats what I did when I changed struts.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:23 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

for the second one, if you put the right size wrench between the metal and bushing there are beveled edges for just such a purpose, I forget what size though

for the first one, eh, beat the fuxor out of it
Old 10-29-2008, 05:23 PM

^^^yea, i've definitely tried hammering, it's not budging I'm thinking i'll cut off the nuts, but I don't know what to do with the big bolt that is stuck...
Old 10-29-2008, 05:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Got a torch? Get one if you dont. Ive had to torch both rear stab links on mine. Not because of rust, my car is rust-free. But because they spin and you cant get a wrench on it good enough to hold. At work I dont even try, go right to the torch.

On the front one, do you have the nut off? Its just stuck in the hole? There must be a ton of tension on there or something. If the nuts off beat the hell out of it and try spinning it with an impact. It should come out. Mine have all been pretty easy.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:38 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I have eccentric bolts in my struts to adjust the camber, if they're not perfectly aligned with the hole then you can't get them out. That may be an eccentric bolt. There's nothing really holding that strut bolt in place except rust or a lobe from an eccentric bolt. If it rotates but won't come out, you'll need some finagling to get it to come out. If it won't rotate, then something else is going on. between sheer force, determination and will power, along with more pb blaster and a large mallet, you should be ablt to get it out.

That 2nd one should come off with a needle nose vice grips and a 14mm socket/impact driver. I say needle nose vice grips because there was no room for me to get a real wrench in mine.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

The first one, cut most of the exposed bolt off. Then put a jack under the arm and jack it up just the tiniest bit to take pressure off the bolt. Use a BFH and a punch to push the bolt through. On the second one (as previously stated), on the link side of the bolt, there's a place to put an open-end wrench to prevent the stud from turning.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:04 PM

So, I just got one of the back nuts off and am working on the second one, works a lot better when you have two people smile.gif

I'm thinking about doing what you said cobra, after i get these back to struts installed.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:14 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

For the front one - I jacked the control arm up a bit so that its weight was not supported by the bolt anymore, and hammered it out while turning it with a socket.

If it's seized up (can't turn it with a socket), you can use the wheel lug wrench, I had a cross-shaped one and one of the four ends had just the right socket (19mm i think). With the cross-shape wrench, I pushed with my leg on one side and pulled with my arm on the other side and made the bolt my b****.