Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help my Tib

Old 06-16-2008, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon FX
Default Help my Tib

Im still needing some help guys!!! We have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, both O2 sensors and the fuel pump! Its still hesitant...its gotten alot better but it still doesnt have the hp it should and almost no torque now! Any ideas!?!? Im thinking about just giving it to the shop we have had working on it since they know the history! Im just scared about how much it will cost! Im thinking that it cant be too expensive since we have replaced just about everything it could be and we are just thinking that it might just be something simple that we just havent thought of! If this is the case can anyone give me some ideas what it could be and how much it would cost!?!?

We also think that it might be my muffler or exhaust might be clogged from having an old CAT...which would be fixed once I put my new header on but havent yet cuz well with two jobs its kinda difficult to give Wilbur my car to do that!!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I don't have a lot to add (that I haven't told you previously in person) but I wanted to say something so you at least knew I looked at your post.

My recommendation is still that you take it to the Hyundai dealer since your problem is so severe and hard to locate. I very rarely recommend someone goes to the dealer. I guarantee that the repair would have been less costly than throwing parts at the problem has been so far. I know the independent shop you want to take it to and it seems to be a good shop, but it's my opinion that the dealer mechanics would have the best chance of locating the problem and fixing it quickly. If you can get it down to Robert Larson Hyundai they will treat you very well. Hyundai of Everett should treat you well also, especially if you mention that you're a KISW/BJ Shea listener and drove all the way up from Kent.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: 02 accent

the only other suggestions I have are engine breathing sugestions that are pretty rare.

my old fiero had a worn lobe on the exhaust cam causing the valve to close early and it'd fail to exhaust the cylinder while it kept pumping fuel in. Every so often it would burn off the overfueled exhaust on the way out, and that produced a surging/dying effect. Dunno if that's anything like what you're getting.

'course a clogged cat could be a problem, but do you really want to cut it out, just to find out? Especially since you'd hafta put it back in if it's not the problem.

sad.gif
Old 06-16-2008, 03:46 PM

ok so what is the price range im looking at whether i take it to the dealer or the shop!?!?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Administrator

That will be an unknown price either way while they diagose it unless the shop has a flat diagnosis fee. I think the diagnosis fee at most dealers is around $100. They're not guaranteed to be right though.

She's on her 2nd engine acting the same way so it's definitely not an internal engine issue.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:26 PM

Vehicle: 02 accent

Could it be a grounding issue? wacko.gif
Old 06-17-2008, 12:03 AM
Administrator

It could be. It wouldn't hurt to go over the grounds and ensure they're all good and solid.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:43 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Have you tried replacing the TPS?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:00 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whiplash @ Jun 17 2008, 04:43 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>Have you tried replacing the TPS?</div>

I think we did but not a 100% sure!?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:06 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(187sks @ Jun 16 2008, 06:54 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>That will be an unknown price either way while they diagose it unless the shop has a flat diagnosis fee. I think the diagnosis fee at most dealers is around $100.</div>

The shops diagnosis fee is around $86 or something like that! I think im gonna take it to the shop just cuz they can give me a loaner car (van sad.gif ) for free of charge...the whole borrowing my grandmas car fell thru cuz my grandpa bought it and he lives in southern washington which is a ways for me!! LOL!! Im sure it cant be too expensive....we have pretty much replaced everything that it could be so Wilbur thinks its probably something really simple like a pinched fuel line or something like that that he just hasnt thought of!! LOL!! Im gonna wait a few more weeks til I get some more paychecks in the bank and than have him call the shop so he can get it set up to where we can drop off the car and pick up the loaner after hours!!