Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help: Choosing AirFilters

Old 06-18-2004, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I want to change the stock air filter on my Coupe Fx to a cone air filter, but I dont know which to pick,

THe guy at the store said I should get a K&N single cone, kinda small, but in the same store there are a lot more filters, all different brands, most are bigger than the K&N, double cone, some have heatshields(usually smaller)... etc...

I have also seen some Ractives(Heatshielded), Green (Single Fat Cones), and others like King Dragon double cones...

Can anyone help me choose?

I want to choose performance, not exactly brand(which seems to be the only reason that guy is recommending the K&N).
Old 06-18-2004, 06:01 AM

Default Gone for a bit!

K&N has a fantastic reputation... you honestly cannot go wrong in using that recommendation. There are probably some filters that flow more... but I do not know how well they actually filter. I use a K&N down behind my fog lights at the end of my CAI... never had a problem with it in a year and a half of driving. I remove it once every six months, give it a good cleaning, and reinstall.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:05 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Ehhh, stay away from Ractive's. They make cheap schtuff.

I agree with Mad, K&N and AEM make good filters. Thats' why their names are so big. In THIS market, name brands make a difference.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I would suggest getting a cold air intake. You'll be happy with it I'm sure
Old 06-18-2004, 11:14 AM

^^^YES, by a CAI...AEM makes the best for tibs, however if you have a 97 tib you probably have a Rev. A, this has a charcoal canister where the AEM filter sits....this either needs to be moved, or RE-moved.

i just bought a k&n to replace my AEM filter.....xtreme flow top, I want to get a heat shield too......anyone know if the injen heat shield will work on a AEM filter??? My K&N is exactly the same size as the AEM filter. The shield will be used for protecting my filter from road spray, as i don't have stock fogs....but i also removed the inserts.

and b4 ne1 asks.....look at my sig.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:10 PM

eh.. My fogs (driving lights really) are not stock.. they sit in the large opening the stock fogs fill.. I have not had a problem with road debris... save for a few large moths my car tried to inhale.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Cat-Back Question

I would deffinately suggest saving up for a CAI, but if you are set on a new filter, then go with the K&N. I do not have experience with these on a Tiburon, but I put one on a 93 Caviler (S*** box) that I had and I could tell that there was a big increase in intake sound and throttle responce.

I am going to go with the AEM CAI though.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:34 AM

CAI? hmmmm, what is that exactly? you mean something like an intercooler for non turbo cars? how much more money are we looking at here? cause, here I can get a K&N filter for about 60€ including drop-hose,
So, how much would that cold air intake "take" me for?
Old 06-21-2004, 05:51 AM

CAI.. Cold air Intake.. in a nutshell.. a tube to replace your air box with the filter on the end.. you put the filter down where it can get at the cooler air outside of the car's engine compartment. As stated above, mine draws in cooler air from behind the driver's side fog light area... MUCH cooler than the hot confines of the engine compartment. If you look at the stock air filter assembly of the tib.. it LOOKS like it grabs cooler air with that little "scoop" right behind the top of the radiator.. but if you look at it.. that opening is actually behind the rubber seal that keeps rain and stuff out from beneath the hood... so, not only is it forced to suck warm air.. it has to pull it through a torturous path...

that is what a CAI does.. it pulls cooler air into the engine through a smoother, more direct path.

If you want a slightly used (needs to be cleaned) K&N filter for the stock airbox.. I have one you can have for the price of shipping.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:01 AM

Hi...

If I have to choose about a good CAI, I will choose the AEM or any kit the the K&N people oofer to me..

Just a warning: Beware where you are gonna put the FILTER. I put it too low... a little lower than the battery is, and I fall into a hole on the street. Sadly, It was raining that day... The engine suck all the water... and the only thing that I remember after that is the Bill of my mechanic...
$400.00... The only good part of this is that I lower the block to get more compression..