Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

HELP! check engine light came on

Old 09-12-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Well after replacing the purge control valve and the Evap canister.. the check engine light came on in 43 miles after, inbetween them 43 miles i started it 4 times.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 PM

Im ready to just blow this damn peice of crap up, its the worst first car ever. It was smooth sailing up until the day before I had to get it inspected and the light came on. I hate this car.. I would sell it but now my air bag light is on after messing with the dash trying to install a RD2 dash, and on top of it its 2 months out of inspection and the check engine light is on.. Im ready to just drive this junk into a tree... What does purge flow low mean? that means the line from the EVAP canister probably has a crack in it? because when i was putting the new hoses n evap canister on it felt real week even know it was metal.. IDK what to do. Can someone please tell me how I can pass this threw emissions before I just keep driving it around with no inspection and suck it up when I get the fine.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It could be a bad fuel cap.

In my state if you spend $150 trying to fix an emissions problem you can get the inspection approved even though you didn't pass. Is that an option there?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by dckeith18
Im ready to just blow this damn peice of crap up, its the worst first car ever.
Slow your roll there. These cars are simple. Their problems are simple. YOUR (my) problem is that a minor problem with inspection overdue is a stressful time . . . but the problem is still simple.

Did you replace the Canister Close Valve (on the charcoal canister)

or did you replace the Canister Purge Control Valve (by the front/right strut tower, near the brake & clutch master cylinders) ?

These two valve names make sense if you understand the system but PCV makes me think "back of cylinder head" and these fail infrequently enough for me to mix up the terms pretty easily.

Originally Posted by dckeith18
What does purge flow low mean?
It means you used a generic OBD code reader, not the information available here and at hyundaitechinfo, to get a description of what the code means.

The CEL listing sticky thread calls it P0441 Evaporative emission (EVAP) system •?? incorrect flow detected Hose connection(s), intake leak, EVAP canister purge valve

Hyundaitechinfo says "Evap. emission control system purge valve permanently open"

DTC > TIBURON(RC) >1999 > G 2.0 DOHC > Engine > Engine Control > INSPECTION CHART FOR DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES > Diagnostic Procedure

To understand EXACTLY WHEN (under what conditions) a CEL will light up (again at hyundaitechinfo's DTC section)

TIBURON(RC) >1999 > G 2.0 DOHC > Engine > Engine Control > OBD-II ON BOARD DIAGNOSIS-II SYSTEM > Diagnostic Procedure
Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 AM

I replaced the Purge control valve near the front of the strut bar, I ran my fingers down the fuel lines and what i beleive the purge lines from the back of the tank to the front of the car, no cracks feels good. Also is a charcoal canister supposed to make sounds if you shake it?? like the charcoal inside? I replaced the whole little black box in the back of the car with aj unkyard one out of a 2001 tiburon with only 117k. Also is there a sweet spot I can hit where the emissions system wont see that it was recently reset?? Like how i drove 43 miles yesterday and it came back on. Could i maybe drive it like 41 miles n take it to the shop and have it pass?

I had the fuel cap pressure tested too, wasn't it.

Also I have an aftermarket intake, I have these 2 cheap red hoses that came with the intake on on the manifold and the one thats coming from the valve cover.. the one from the valve cover is pretty loose? think it could be it Also the one from the intake manifold to the intake right before the honeycomb thing was real loose
Old 09-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

pics of hoses? I doubt it has anything to do with the problem. Make sure the arrow on the MAF (black pipe with sensor plug and screen inside) is pointing the direction of airflow. Your code doesn't indicate that's a problem, but worth it just to check.

As far as I know, there's no "sweet spot" - you can reset it and go have it tested, praying that it'll pass.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 PM

WEll today when my brother inspected what was going on... he found the hose that connects to the EVAp canister after the tubing that comes out of it to the tubing right behind the gas tank was really cracked n messed up and all rusted.. the tubing is metal with some rubber around it and he vacuum tested it after that point and he found that it didnt loose vacuum.. so I replaced the 7 inches of tubing with some makeshift stuff that will work and I put the negative n positive of the battery together to short out the ECU so it didnt store the code and we'll see what happens.. I drove it 16 miles so far and so far so good.. I unplugged the battery earlier today n drove 14 miles before i fixed that tubing and the CEL went on in 14 miles.. so, so far so good.