Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help! Car Won't Start.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

DEFINITELY try swapping the crank sensor from your RD1. That solved my problems. Had the same exact symptoms... car would turn over but not start. Intermittent starting. I bought a new crank position sensor and never had a starting problem again. I also went through the whole change wires, plugs, etc. but it wasn't until I changed the CPS that it worked.

Good luck.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'll give it a try in a few. Thanks man.

Other suggestions not from DTN?

Just so there's no further confusion, look at the troubleshooting guide shown by DTN.

Note the area that says DOES NOT START.

Note under THAT AREA, that it says "INCOMPLETE COMBUSTION". This means that the engine doesn't start, but turns over.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:47 AM

Vehicle: Had 96 Elantra Wagon

I would look at the Fuel Pump like you stated, as the Fuel Pump will prime when the key is placed in the on position. Now if you were getting the prime and not getting the pump to run after then you would have a CKP issue as that is what signals the ecu to activate the pump to run.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:50 AM

Okay, I'm heading out there now.

How loud SHOULD the fuel pump be if I have the seat cover up and the fuel pump cover off? Or should you barely feel it going?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: Had 96 Elantra Wagon

The pump should be somewhat audible with the seat and the cover removed. If in doubt take the 8mm bolts loose and raise the pump up slightly and listen.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:21 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

i've came across the crank sensor problem a few time, i would try that in first place
it's an easy job and you havea spare crank sensor 10 feet away ;-)
Old 06-08-2007, 12:20 PM

All fixed guys, thanks for the help. I'm going to go and make sure it still starts fine here a few more times today, but it's starting like it's NEW right now.

First thing I did was to check what I was scared of, the fuel pump that was making no noise. I found in the shop manual how to test it, found the port in the engine bay (DIY coming), ran a power wire from that to the battery, and you could hear it outside the car, not loud, but that confirmed it was working.

After this, I went to the CKP Sensor, as since I had messed with it earlier this week (posted about above), I figured it could be that too, along with the reasoning in this thread from everyone else.

I checked the wiring for the CKP sensor, and it was fine, no cuts, abrasions, plug was in tight. Checked the sensor, and everything looked and felt right. I went to go take it off, and I noticed the bolt was way too easy to remove. When I replaced the o ring on it earlier this week (I was having a BAD oil leak for the past 5 months I couldn't track down, it was from the CKP Sensor), the entire area was very oily and greasy. I replaced the sensor, sprayed the entire area off with some high pressure water to see if the leak came back, and left it at that.

Sometime while driving over the next 2 days, the bolt loosened up enough, just about 3 to 4 turns, to let the CKP sensor back out far enough to not get a signal. I removed the bolt, cleaned the hole with a q-tip (lotsa oil), tightened the bolt up, and torqued it down a bit, got in, and it started immediately.

So again, thanks everyone, I could have done this all yesterday, but I was being lazy and had school stuff to work on, but it's fixed, and that's what counts.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:07 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

Congrats with the fix.