Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help! 2 Check Engine Codes!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My CEL came on a couple of months ago and started giving me grief. At first I thought it was fluke but then realised it was most likely
due to my header swap which was over 2 years ago. During the header swap, I had to lengthen the one O2 sensor wiring harness to
reach to back behind my high-flow catylitic converter. The car ran good after the swap and continued to do so up until this fall. Now
the check engine light comes on and stays on. Recently I went out and purchased a code reader ( a CANOBDII reader by Innovo I believe).
It told me that I had one code appearing: P0134 - O2 Circuit no activity detected (bank 1, sensor 1). Now its giving me that code as
well as another: P0422: Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IT MEANS BY BANK 1 SENSOR 1?
If so can you help me pinpoint the problem? I dont really know for sure what the second code means either!

Since Im living in a city far away from my farm with a properly equipped shop, I can't readily work on it. So when I get the chance to work
on it, I would like to have the problem narrowed down to take less time to troubleshoot.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

search the forums for P0134

It's because of your O2 sensor.

When I got it, I believe my cat was clogged (or at least, they said it was at the dealership). Replaced under warranty.

A quick search seems to say it'll go away on it's own
Old 01-11-2009, 11:33 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (srush @ Jan 12 2009, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>P0134 - O2 Circuit no activity detected (bank 1, sensor 1).
P0422: Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).</div>

ok for p0134...check your wiring for your headers...its is dealing if your pre cat o2 sensor, i had this one as well, and mine was dead, so i replace it and no problems since

as for as p0422...check this thread out http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=29937&hl=
i just did this friday and it got rid of that code...its cause the after cat o2 sensor is too close the the hi flow cat and its not reading it correctly...a 5 buck mod
Old 01-12-2009, 12:16 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You screwed the wiring up bro.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Reading your comments makes me figure I’ve got these problems:
1. If P0134 has to do with the pre-cat wiring then that is a simple fix. It must either be that the O2 sensor is pooched or it’s wiring is messed up. Since I never changed it’s wiring, it is most likely the sensor.
2. If P0422 has to do with the second sensor measuring the efficiency of the catylitic converter, then it must be that it is plugged/clogged or my guess would be that the second sensor is messed as well.

I can’t see me screwing up the wiring because it was pretty simple and it did work for 2 years. I also can’t see the second sensor being to close to the
cat for the same reason. This is just my thoughts and not saying anyone is wrong. I just find it strange that it worked for 2 years then decides to tell me somethings up!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

since both sensors are sending off alarms, maybe something is messed up before the sensors causing them to properly read a problem.

???
Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I have a similar problem with code P0422 in which my car ran fine for about a year and half then I got the code. I have to fix it this weekend as I need to get my car inspected so if I figure it out I'll post up what I did.

Im going to try using the O2 fouler plugs that mwood and redz were talking about. Im sure they will work but I still don't understand why after a year and a half of no O2/Cat problems I get this...maybe my cat really is bad..who knows.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:04 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

^^^
i rather pay 5 bucks for the spark pkug foulers and do this mod then pay 60-80 for a cat then whatever a shop would cost to install it

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (srush @ Jan 12 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks for the help guys. Reading your comments makes me figure I’ve got these problems:
1. If P0134 has to do with the pre-cat wiring then that is a simple fix. It must either be that the O2 sensor is pooched or it’s wiring is messed up. Since I never changed it’s wiring, it is most likely the sensor.
2. If P0422 has to do with the second sensor measuring the efficiency of the catylitic converter, then it must be that it is plugged/clogged or my guess would be that the second sensor is messed as well.

I can’t see me screwing up the wiring because it was pretty simple and it did work for 2 years. I also can’t see the second sensor being to close to the
cat for the same reason. This is just my thoughts and not saying anyone is wrong. I just find it strange that it worked for 2 years then decides to tell me somethings up!</div>

before you start replacing stuff, check the wiring first
Old 01-12-2009, 04:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^Oh I completely agree and that's why Im going to go that route first...but luckily I do have access to a shop if I do need a cat.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:13 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Those codes mean the connection is bad. Check wiring/connection. Took me 100 tries hah