Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

HELP! 01 Tiburon won't start, still turns over

Old 09-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The water pump pully sucks, it is a fact. Hold the pulley and turn your wrench. An angled box wrench is better by far than a crescent wrench for this.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well I got it all put back together last night and she still won't start. I triple checked everything. The belts are turning at least which is a good sign! I posted a video of what it sounds like turning over here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TUG...e_gdata_player

I tried jump starting it while turning it over just in case the battery was low...still nothing. So I'm sure my engine is screwed. I'll check compression next to see what readings I'm getting. Do you know what type of psi we should see for compression?

And after trying to start, the pulley markings didn't return to the proper TDC timing marks. I'm guessing they aren't supposed to return to TDC right?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you rotate the pullies to the same orientation as when you set the timing, you should see the timing is still set properly. If it is not, either the tension was not set tight enough or something much worse than a broken belt is in play. When you crank the engine, it will stop in a random orientation so don't worry about where it stopped after trying to start.

A brand spanking new Beta should have 210 to 215 PSI across the board. At 168k miles mine had 183 +/- 2PSI on all cylinders and it runs strong. 150 is way low for this engine. If you have 1 or 2 cylinders with bad compression (which is probably the case) then you likely have bent valves after a broken timing belt. The easiest solution is a cylinder head from a junked engine with a guarantee from the yard. If you don't mind changing your own valves that is the cheapest fix, if you don't screw it up and if that's really all that was required. IF you can find a junkyard engine for ~$400 with low miles and a warranty, you might be better off going that route. Then, if you are so inclined you end up with a spare engine to rebuild in case you ever need it.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:07 PM

Cool thanks for the reply. The markings do line back up properly when I manually crank them. So that sounds to be working correctly.

I'll get the compression checked tonight hopefully. I'll look for anything below 150psi. I'm going to start checking around junk yards for an engine. I imagine it's easier and quicker to do a full engine swap than having to rip apart the head and everything.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Oops
Old 09-26-2012, 03:25 PM

Your video sounds like it has no compression.

You have a few options.

A head from the junkyard would be your cheapest fix.

You could take your bad head to a machine shop. This will cost a little more to have them rebuild it but your head would be like new.

You can get a engine from the junkyard.

140k is a lil early for a beta to be swapped out but if you find something with even lower miles for a good price then that's good. Check your local yard and car-parts.com
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Sorry for being cranky,I apoligize! ,I was i'n a foul mood.I..I''m super impressed with your effort ! Most don't even try !, Follow stocker and the others advice and you cant go wrong, I'll check back to see what compression # 's you have , good luck.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:56 AM

I appreciate all your help guys. I couldn't find a compression gauge last night, so I'll be heading to town today to pick one up.

I called a local shop to see what they'd quote me for either the head rebuild or a salvage yard engine swap. I'm waiting to hear back from them on the price quotes. Just not sure I'm confident enough in myself to do the engine swap. I'm definitely not confident in myself to rip into the head, that seems much more complicated than an engine swap. Is there a DIY or writeup somewhere about how to pull the engine?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:30 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm with Regit. Well done sir! I was an ass earlier, but you have done well. Pulling the head shouldn't be too hard considering how far you've already gone. You will need a torque wrench to do it. There is almost certainly a DIY on this site somewhere.

Good luck and keep us posted!

And fix that thing, trust me it's worth the investment. You may find some parts in the classified section of the site.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:30 PM

Pulling a engine is alot more intimidating then it really is. There is only a few main things to do to get the engine loose but a lot of little things that you have to keep up with.

I suggest getting a Haynes manual or something of sorts. You have a nice step by step guide right at your finger tips and they also tell you how to pull the motor.

But if you feel the shop is giving you a reasonable price then go for it. Just don't get rid of the Hyundai because once you sort this out you will have a car to last you forever lol

Good luck keep us posted