Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Headlight Adjustment

Old 01-22-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read the DIY for the headlight adjustment, and have all the steps down correctly, however, i believe the screws/bolts for the aiming are rusted to the point of uselessness, and they do no afect the position or aiming of the lights at all. i was wondering about how to replace them and what it would involve purchasing/doing.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'm not sure that you could replace just the adjusting screw.

Are you sure it isn't adjusting? The owner's manual has the step-by-step on how to do it. I usually put a philips screwdriver bit in an 8mm (or similar) socket and just keep turning. Might be worth it to look for used headlights if yours are in such bad shape
Old 01-24-2008, 09:12 PM

Taking it to a mechanic tomorrow, well see exactly what was wrong with it.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Wow.....I hope you don't plan to mod your car..

Out of all seriousness, dude your going to have a mechanic adjust your headlamps? If you want to learn, you better start attempting things one step at a time yourself. This is a great start....
Old 01-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

now that I think about it... I think I had a plastic screw for adjusting my headlights. Are you sure you're looking at the right screw?

Taken from HMA Service:
http://hmaservice.com/viewer/content.asp?v...38419%5Eshop%24
Login: rdt
pw: tiburon

Before performing aiming adjustment, make sure of the following.
1. Keep all tires inflated to the correct pressure.

2. Place the vehicle on level ground and press the front bumper & rear bumper down several times.
3. See that the vehicle is unloaded (except for full levels of coolant, engine oil and fuel, and spare tire, jack and tools).
4. Clean the head lights lens and turn on the headlight (Lower beam).
5. Open the hood.
6. Adjust the vertical indicator by turning the adjusting bolt with a Phillips screwdriver.
The bubble in the gauge should be in line with the reference line.

7. Adjust the horizontal indicator by turning the adjusting gear with a Phillips screwdriver.
The indicator should be in line with the "O" line.

1. Adjust headlights so that main axis of light is parallel to center line of the body and is aligned with point P shown in the illustration.

2. Dotted lines in the illustration show center of headlights.

"H" : Horizontal center line of headlights from ground. 23.3 in (593 mm : With driver)
"W" : Distance between each headlight center. 42.1 in (1070 mm)
"L" : Distance between the headlights and the wall that the lights are tested against. 118.11 in (3,000 mm)
Even if the horizontal indicator does not align with the reference line or the vertical indicator bubble is not centered in the reference line after aiming by the chart, it is acceptable if they are within the O.K. ranges.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 PM

Trust me, I looked into the DIY long before I even posted this. Those screws displayed in the diagram(first one) have no effect on the positio of the bubble or the aiming of the headlights, they seem to have zero effect at all. The gears that the screws are supposed to turn dont turn either, so I'm guessing they are stripped.. I'm wondering whether I ccan replace those parts or am i looking at trying to find new headlights?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:07 AM

I have to say I am with MBass on this one I have tried that on numerous occassions even tried in the dark with the beam shining on to the wall so that I could see if there is any movement... Nada... nothing happens and yes it seems like the screws dont actually move anything. Any other solutions....
Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 AM

I believe if you look at the backs of the lights, the gear mechanism can be turned from the back of the light instead of through the adjusters ontop.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

sometimes it's difficult to see the headlamps moving because there's 2 of them with angled cutoffs on both. It's effective if you block one headlamp and adjust the other. I've thought nothing was happening once because the lower portion of the passenger side was not moving, but it turned out the driver's headlamp was moving around under the level of the passenger's headlamp. Try blocking one off while you adust the other. It takes a few turns to make much of a difference.