Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Headers...

Old 05-11-2005, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

well, just out of curiousity i was wondering if anyone had ever done a total comparison on the 3 (main) types of headers we have available for us..

OBX - good price, how is it performance-wise?, i heard there's an annoying buzzing noise?, fitment is good (?)

Maintec Racing - expensive, how is it performance-wise?, they look nice, what do you have to do to modify them for US tibs?

Maintec GT - lot of dinero, they look amazing, but for that kind of money there better be some big gains?, is it hard to modify for US tibs?

this is all i've ever heard, it seems like nobody really bothers with the maintec headers (probably because they're pretty spendy), but i was just wondering if either of them are worth it? (comparitively vs OBX obviously, they are the only other manufacturer pretty much)
Old 05-12-2005, 12:11 AM

OBX will buzz due to the thin walls. Fitment issues are almost none.

Maintec racing: no idea if anyone has them

Maintec GT: I know one person who has them installed and he says they perform well, but for the price I don't think it's worth those 1-2whp that they push over OBX. Major fitment issues! You need to cut your stud to fit them!!! Not something I'd expect from a $500 product rolleyes.gif
Old 05-12-2005, 05:49 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ya forgot the HVE 4-1s... if the dollar was worth more I would be all over those. I think they are like $520 shipped with ceramic coating.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:21 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Right now I have the SSA 4-1 headers, which I believe are the same as OBX. I don't have the annoying buzz that everyone is talking about. Before I put my Apexi cat-back system on it was there. I have a set of Maintec GT's sitting in my house, but those are earmarked for redzman. wink1.gif
Old 05-12-2005, 07:29 AM

Yes, I see no noticeable difference betweem the SSA and OBX header. I would ALMOST swear the the SSAs were OBX's. I guess SSA are duplicates of the OBX
Old 05-12-2005, 08:27 AM

<span style="color:purple">yeah they are designed exactly the same i believe</span>
Old 05-12-2005, 10:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OdessitPashka @ May 12 2005, 12:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>OBX will buzz due to the thin walls. Fitment issues are almost none.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

Not true, many folks have issues with the OBX and SSA headers having a warped flange. Also, many folks have a rubbing issue with a crossmember under the car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Maintec racing: no idea if anyone has them</div>

Several folks do, we sold about 5 of them in the GB, mostly to the UK guys. They said they love them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Maintec GT: I know one person who has them installed and he says they perform well, but for the price I don't think it's worth those 1-2whp that they push over OBX. Major fitment issues! You need to cut your stud to fit them!!! Not something I'd expect from a $500 product rolleyes.gif</div>

That's just plain idiotic. I know of 4 folks with them installed, 1 on an XD (Smaller engine bay, REQUIRED slimline fans), and the rest on RD's (require some minor trimming of fan guard). I'm getting slimline fans for mine because I want the extra cooling and want to do it right. We have at least 2 members here that have them installed and have nothing but rave reviews (And those folks got them ceramic coated also, even MORE expensive), and I'd bet ya that it's more than 1-2 WHP on those. The only other "fitment issue" is having to cut one stud down a bit so it doesn't hit the exhaust where it curves up.

I wouldn't call any of that "Major". Hell, if that's MAJOR for fitment issues, what would you consider the fitment issues when installing a Turbo?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberShark @ May 12 2005, 07:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yes, I see no noticeable difference betweem the SSA and OBX header. I would ALMOST swear the the SSAs were OBX's. I guess SSA are duplicates of the OBX

SSA copied the OBX design. SSA is pure crap.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:34 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ May 12 2005, 04:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Several folks do, we sold about 5 of them in the GB, mostly to the UK guys. They said they love them.<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

I do have a Maintec Racing header and I love my headers. Not only are they extremely well fabricated, but it's thick walls warranty they won't sucumb under extreme teperature. I haven't got my car into the Dyno yet, but I bet it's more than just 1WHP, PLUS, there is definitely much more torque with them.
I couldn't send them for the ceramic coating, but folks I am really glad I MADE IT INTO THE GB. I saw after the GB prices rose considerably, my header costed me roughly over $350, now they are $500.

If there is another GB I severly suggest you get in, for like $100 more than a OBX or SSA, you can get a nice piece of hand made engineering.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:45 AM

Yeah but they are still 4-2-1 headers not 4-1.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:57 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (javageek @ May 12 2005, 07:21 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Right now I have the SSA 4-1 headers, which I believe are the same as OBX. I don't have the annoying buzz that everyone is talking about. Before I put my Apexi cat-back system on it was there. I have a set of Maintec GT's sitting in my house, but those are earmarked for redzman. wink1.gif

So, you had buzz with other exhaust system? What did you have before?
Do you plan on selling your headers by any chance?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I do have a Maintec Racing header and I love my headers. Not only are they extremely well fabricated, but it's thick walls warranty they won't sucumb under extreme teperature. I haven't got my car into the Dyno yet, but I bet it's more than just 1WHP, PLUS, there is definitely much more torque with them.
I couldn't send them for the ceramic coating, but folks I am really glad I MADE IT INTO THE GB. I saw after the GB prices rose considerably, my header costed me roughly over $350, now they are $500.

If there is another GB I severly suggest you get in, for like $100 more than a OBX or SSA, you can get a nice piece of hand made engineering.</div>

I never said that it added 1-2whp, I meant it added 1-2whp more than OBX would.
Hell, I got very good gains with OBX headers too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Not true, many folks have issues with the OBX and SSA headers having a warped flange. Also, many folks have a rubbing issue with a crossmember under the car.</div>

Have to disagree, I went through 3 sets of OBX/SSA headers on 2 cars and did not have any issues at all!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>That's just plain idiotic. I know of 4 folks with them installed, 1 on an XD (Smaller engine bay, REQUIRED slimline fans), and the rest on RD's (require some minor trimming of fan guard). I'm getting slimline fans for mine because I want the extra cooling and want to do it right. We have at least 2 members here that have them installed and have nothing but rave reviews (And those folks got them ceramic coated also, even MORE expensive), and I'd bet ya that it's more than 1-2 WHP on those. The only other "fitment issue" is having to cut one stud down a bit so it doesn't hit the exhaust where it curves up.</div>

I know a guy on EXD and I think one more member here that have them installed. And EXD guy was the only one who did a good write up on them. Maybe I missed other member's posts here. If so, please link me.

Also, I never said anything bad about them man. I'm sure they are great headers that provide nice power, but I don't see how they are worth extra $250-300 over a few more horses that they will provide over OBX. It's just my opinion and you don't have to agree with it, but I wanted to express it.

We need to see some dynos with those headers, if we'll see some major improvment, I'll change my mind and maybe will consider buying them smile.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah but they are still 4-2-1 headers not 4-1.</div>

I know what you mean man, but quality 4-2-1 headers might overpower any 4-1 headers. I hope it's the case with maintec.