Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Header Wrap Advice

Old 11-01-2008, 04:53 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, I received 50 feet of black header wrap today. I'm expecting my 8 metallic zip ties soon. I have 1400F black silicone spray. Now I'm left wondering about technique.

It sounds easy, but there's alot of different ways to do it. I don't know what's best.

Do I wrap it a certain way? 1/2 overlap? Do I go down one runner and back up the other, then tie it off, or do I go all the way down the entire pipe and tie it off? What looks prettiest? Is there a technique that will help it to maintain efficiency?

I'm really clueless as to what to do, I don't want to just throw it on there and call it good. I've got a 4-2-1header. Any advice as to how to do the wrap?
Old 11-01-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

here's a pretty good video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55U2ArzgZf4
Old 11-01-2008, 06:07 PM
DTN

oh my gosh! thank you! That answers all of my questions. I would have never known to wet it. A++ post mang!
Old 11-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

For a really clean install...

Since yours is a 4-2-1, I assume 1-4 and 2-3 are your first pairs? Wrap one primary on each pair and go one wrap past the "Y". Then wrap one of the other pipes past the first "Y" (covering the lower tie wrap of the primary you already wrapped) and continue one wrap past the third "Y". Finally, wrap the last primary, covering the tie wrap from the second primary you wrapped and continue to the flange. Once you finish, you'll notice the only tie wraps you see are the 4 at the top of the primaries and the one right before the flange.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:52 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

don't use the big ugly metal "tie wraps"
instead use stainless steel safety wire
makes fora much cleaner install
Old 11-02-2008, 12:17 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Denis is right. Don't use the tie wraps. They are big..and don't stay secured for a long period. Use SS safety wire like Denis mentioned. That's how I wrapped my turbo manifold. If you want to see pictures, go find my project thread.

Also, I used VHT 2000C Header paint first. I sandblasted the header well (its stainless), sprayed 3 coats of VHT as per instructions. I also followed the baking instructions for optimal efficiency. After I wrapped the manifold, let dry, than sprayed 3 coats of the DEI silicone spray.

http://www.masracing.biz/catalog/i254.html
Old 11-02-2008, 08:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

9 dollars a can isnt bad but a 25 dollar shipping charge, good grief!

That video that was posted looked awsome, def something to think about.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:41 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I didn't buy it off that website, I bought it from Oreillys.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 AM
DTN

^^ word. I have silver on mine, but it flaked off. I believe it is because the header is made out of a thin material and it vibrates/shakes the paint off. I really don't know but I bead blasted the hell out of my header, sanded it down nice and smooth with emery cloth, then a scotchbrite pad and soap, then I used paint prep and painted in a controlled temp paint booth with a pretty laminar air flow. I baked it according to manufacturer's directions and it still flaked off after a 200 mile drive. The header is still covered, but it's not silver anymore, it's just kinda dull metalic looking. Be careful when painting certain headers. That's the reason I'm going with this wrap.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tanc @ Nov 2 2008, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Denis is right. Don't use the tie wraps. They are big..and don't stay secured for a long period. Use SS safety wire like Denis mentioned. That's how I wrapped my turbo manifold. If you want to see pictures, go find my project thread.</div>
I did see that the standard zip ties/tie wraps are pretty bulky and ugly. I never thought about safety wire. I've got some of that already. I'll take a look when my tie wraps get here. They're expensive, so I'm not going to make up my mind until I see them.

here's a pic http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/cb/34/67e9_1.JPG

They're not as ugly as some I've seen, but I could see how safety wire could be more effective.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Banned

yeah, the VHT stuff is awesome.. mine never flaked off, peeled, cracked or anything.

i bought mine from murrays/checkers, they also carry it at autozone for like 8$..