Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Header,install,oops!

Old 01-21-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tib

I got a used header and flex pipe off a leased automatic 2000(like mine).he said it would bolt right up to my existing stock exhaust ..... I dont have new a glasspack or cat to put on so I had to go to speedy muffler to have a flanged 6" pipe made to fill the gap between the flex pipe and the existing stock exhaust?(sorry ,camera broke) I made clearance under the motor where the header hits the oil pan shroud{as per posted diy}fine.... but why 6"short??Im shure where both automatics,?it it the lack of a glasspack?will one quiet me down a bit?iits a lil raspy in midway in first?
Old 01-21-2006, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

It might be raspy because of the brand of headers.

I dont know what to say about the fitment though. Do you have a stock exhaust?
Old 01-21-2006, 06:05 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MK3Design @ Jan 21 2006, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It might be raspy because of the brand of headers.

I dont know what to say about the fitment though. Do you have a stock exhaust?</div>
was stock...til now. the raspyness comes fr the back end, purrrs fine up at the bay.

I was just looking at the" header DIY," again and it looks like some kind of catalatic conv after the flex pipe??? my exhaust was stock and did'nt have that cat,only the one on the exhaust manifold???
Old 01-21-2006, 06:10 PM

If nothing was changed from the cat-back, then you might have a leak in your flexpipe. I know that a small hole or rip in a flexpipe will give it a raspy sound. You did say that it sounds ok up front so maybe a baffle in your muffler just happend to break around the time of the install.

You know i was just thinking. If you installed a header and a straight pipe in the place of the cat, then that probably your problem. You just went from 2 cats (pre-cat and normal cat) to nothing and a header, so your sound is probably just from a lack of muffling the sound. Id say put a new cat in there somewhere.

Or if you have the money, just get a custom exhaust with a catco or carsound cat and magnaflow muffler. That would sound nice and do a little more for performance.

Also, not to be a d*ck, but dont quote the post right above you. Just use a carrot (^) sign.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:20 PM

I put it back on the hoist an had my ear by the flex.,not that. so weird... my bro also said it may be an effed muffler as you said.. ...the pipe is only a extension of the strait pipe?(try to get pic tomorrow).ps:what hp did I gain? 5 maybe 6 hp?? It was definately noticeable!again ps: the only cat that was on my origonal exhaust was the flat fat one on the manifold ,replaced with above header,flexpipe(flex close to header) ,strait 6",to stock pipe,muffler.(man I need pics!)...its 9 40 pm here now.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:13 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Shoulda posted here, I woulda sold you my test pipe. It would have been a perfect fit, and shiney stainless steel.
You have a gap because there's supposed to be a cat there, but when you put on headers they are supposed to include a test pipe to replace the cat as well.
Come to think about it, if you have an Rd2, I don't know why there wasn't an OEM cat there in the first place..weird.

You don't need pics, anyone who's ever looked at their stock exhaust should know 100% what you're talking about....
Old 01-21-2006, 11:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Raspiness comes from removing the convertor on the header... more prevolent with headers like yours that look to be thin walled. Its also because the motor isn't balanced.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:43 AM

hmmm... all the reading i've done here and never heard of a "test pipe"before?...anyway.

\
I guess I gotta get a cat come inspection time? ..maybe cdn cars have only one cat??
Old 01-23-2006, 10:15 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata

no way dude, i think cdn laws are more strict than US..i'm sure my cdn RD2 has 2 cats (stock)
Old 01-24-2006, 07:53 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Canadian Tiburons do only have one cat, the one that is built into the exhaust manifold. That is why your header and flex pipe were too short. Most of the aftermarket exhaust products are built for the Tibs that have two cats and the front section is longer.

You should have put a cat in there. You definitely have to have one if you are subject to emissions testing in your province but it's a good idea anyway so we can all breath cleaner air.