Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Hazards/turn Signals Not Working

Old 03-29-2006, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 fx and about a month ago my girlfriend was driving it and had a small fender/bender. It was nothing serious and the other person involved only tapped the passenger front part of the bumper and busted the turn signal lamp (the housing only). I ordered a replacement housing online, took out the pieces of the old housing and put it all back together. After this I hit the hazards to check everything was working and it was all fine. Then about a week ago I started having intermittent problems with my turn signals not working. Usually it would have a problem, I would hit the hazard button a few times and hear and audible "click" and the signals would work again. About 3 days ago the turn signals and hazards just gave up completely on me.

I checked all the fuses, both under-hood and in the little kick panel by the drivers feet and nothing is blown. I am contemplating taking the dash apart and looking at the wiring for the hazard button next. I also tried to follow the wiring for the signals that runs in the front of the car, thinking that the fender-bender maybe pinched/cut a wire and it doesnt look like it. I have a record from the previous owner that the hazard button assemby was replaced once before, so maybe that is a common problem?

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this?
Suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I was stopped for the 2nd time by the police yesterday, they wanted to know why I didnt use a turn signal and why my brake light was out. Driving - turn signals is not very fun.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:57 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i would replace the hazard switch itself with a known good one to see if that helps

the hazard switch when removed turns off all of the turnsignals so if it went bad it would stop all of that...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

another note of advise.

if the hazard switch was replace before, make sure that the connector is completely connected to the hazard switch.. it's very likely that when it was replace it just connected enough to make it work, but through time it could've came loose.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:17 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

check turn/hazard relay, it may be bad
Old 03-29-2006, 10:03 AM

^^^yup, patreezy had that same problem. the flashing relay under the dash in the "passenger relay box" was bad.

could also just be a fuse somewhere. i would check all of them first, engine bay AND passenger cabin fuse boxes.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:08 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dmitry @ Mar 29 2006, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>check turn/hazard relay, it may be bad</div>
I just want to make sure, which relay and exactly where is it located?

I am knee deep in disassembled dash right now and I found a bunch of fuses I didn't even know existed. So far none of the fuses are bad and the dash is a PITA to get off. I am just having trouble unhooking some of the connectors which are behind the top dash panel (the one that holds the hazard switch/AC vents/shade for dash cluster). I am assuming I just have to be a contortionist and reach under and behind to unhook everything, if there's an easier way please share.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibby01 @ Mar 29 2006, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>^^^yup, patreezy had that same problem. the flashing relay under the dash in the "passenger relay box" was bad.

could also just be a fuse somewhere. i would check all of them first, engine bay AND passenger cabin fuse boxes.</div>
Once again, just to clarify...I have checked both fuse "boxes" the kick panel to the left of drivers feet and the one in the engine compartment, but when you say "passenger relay box" are you talking about the small black box/block with the brass colored connectors under the steering wheel? I have been told this is a relay, but I want to make sure I'm on the same page. Thank you for helping.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:12 AM

yeah. that thing wayt the f up in the dash is the relay box.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:17 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

If you can't get the dash off it's most likely because of the heater cable.

Look under the crash pad to the right of the gas pedal, there's this white thing that pivots--it controls heat. Up=cold Down=warm, unscrew it and then when you have all wires disconnected from the dash you should be able to pull it out while feeding the heater cable up towards you.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:34 AM

^^^
Ahh yes, so much better now. Thanks zoned.

OK further developments, I got the dash out and unscrewed/took out the hazard button piece and played with it, occasionally if i screwed aroudn with it the hazards would briefly come on and then stop and turn off again. the button feels like it is sticking somewhat. Is this button something I can take apart and fix or do i need to get a new one?

If I have to buy a new one where is the best place to get one?
Can I pick it up at a local parts store or is it something I can only order from hyundai/online?
Old 03-29-2006, 05:03 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

What year do you have? I may have an extra one...