Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

the good, the bad, and the lucky

Old 08-29-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Temp Gauge hook up

THE GOOD - so I got the transmission issue fixed with the elantra... drove it for like 23 miles, but here comes....

THE BAD- When I went to fill it up found out there is a leak near the top of the fuel tank.... well thats not TOO bad becasue I have to drop the tank soon to put in the 190 so i'll just seal it up then, but here is the worst part.... it caught fire!!! yeah but where it caught fire at is...

THE LUCKY - so my car started to run like crap so i pull over pop the hood, and BOOM it just burst into flames after I turned the car off.... the lucky part is I pulled over in a car wash.. so i frantically scared the shit out of some lady vacuuming her car to help me push it into a bay.. then i throw $1.50 of quarters in it and become a firefighter all of a sudden.... there isnt any real damage to it.

My question is this, it started over by the coil packs. I thought it was a fuel leak that had ignited after the block got so hot but Im not sure this is the case because my mom was towing me home with her elantr awith a tow strap well i got too close to her once and the strap came off. well i started my car for like 2 seconds and BOOM my car catches on fire again like 2 blocks from my house so we get there my mom has no idea there is a fire under my hood, i knew because the smoke was coming in through the ventalation so i make a sprint for the garden hose and play firefighter again. But the second fire makes me think its not fuel related because my engine was still soaked with water from the first time that I had put it out. So the fuel would have been saturated with water, however the fire was in the same spot.. near the coil packs and power transistor... any ideas what is causing the fire?
Old 08-29-2004, 06:46 PM

Default the good, the bad, and the lucky

I am unfamilier with the 4g63t... and most people are probably VERY unfamilier with your setup... what is near the coils? you might have an electical leak teamed up with a fine fuel leak.... ugly combination
Old 08-29-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: the good, the bad, and the lucky

its pretty much the same as a tiburon. Except the coils are tucked inside of the "U" in the IM and it sits right by the #1 injector. But its like nothing was burnt in the fire, not even the vaccuum line coming off of the FPR which was in the middle of it. so im wondering if its just fuel burning, but the second time it caught fire way too fast, so that made me not think its a fuel leak but rather a electrical short or something
Old 08-29-2004, 07:29 PM

Default Re: high comp pistons

Well.. Youve got it on fire twice.. A 3rd wont hurt right? Easiest way to find the problem is to have it re-occur.. Have someone start and turn off your car while you watch to see what it is.. Gas can still ignite while saturated w/ water, so its possible a fuel fire.. Maybe injector.. Electrical fire usually shorts things (so i think?) so I wouldnt think it would happen twice w/ electrica but im no electrician ;/
Old 08-29-2004, 09:29 PM

Default Windshield reservoir removal

from what you said about where the coils are... I think it is a pinprick fuel leak to one of the injectors. As you know Injected cars run some pretty high PSI to the Injectors.. so it would not take much of a leak to get a real fine spray of fuel. At that point.. ANY electrical leakage would set it off.. I might suggest diconnecting the coils and having somebody crank the car... hopefully it will spray fuel harmlessly... keep an extinguisher around just in case though
Old 08-29-2004, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Windshield reservoir removal

i think you are right.. i was having O-ring issues with two of the injectors. You are probably right.... we'll see
Old 08-30-2004, 12:51 AM

Default Re: DIY - The "big 3" wire upgrade

man, you are lucky! hopefully u will get it fixed.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Custom FG subwoofer enclosures

well I figured it out for sure... ripped the fuel rail out of the car, replaced all the o-rings and seals on the injectors, then i start cleaning the FPR with brake parts cleaner to get some of the burnt carbon off of it, and the top hat looking part on it spun! i guess it went bad and started leaking fuel which caused the fire. So i replaced the fuel return line as well, and plug wires. Ran it hard for another 15 miles, popped the hood periodically to check for leaks and none were present. So looks like she is ready to go as soon as I get an alignment tomorrow. My tranny issues were fixed thanks to JP recommending to adjust the rod that goes into the top part of the clutch pedal that is connected to the master cylinder. Maybe I'll even have her at track day. Be ready to see it on the streets VERY soon. There are several minor lighting electrical issues that need to be fixed but its no big deal.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Stainless Steel Brake Lines GB #3

happy for ya man smile.gif
let us know how she does on the track
Old 08-31-2004, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Keyless Entry Programming

well she made it 31 miles to my apt from my parent's house with minimal problems. A bit sluggish and a few backfires but thats understandable because the base timing isnt set properly yet.