Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Go Eclipse?

Old 09-15-2002, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lmao, I heard the Mitsubishi Eclipse engines explode after a 100,000 miles. I don't think I want that. Better sell it at 99,999 miles.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:50 AM

What engine doesn't explode after 100k miles?? Most engines don't even last that long.

At any rate, the Eclipse's engine is stronger and easier to tune because it was made and developed to handle large amounts of power for turbo apps. The Beta wasn't. Hyundai is new to Rally racing, and new to tuning in general. Mitsubishi has been doing it for years. And from what I have read about the Hyundai cars and their turboed Betas, they dont last long, and are constantly breaking down...the only reason Hyundai is doing well is in the stock class, their driver kicks ass. Stock class means no mods, except your basic intake and such. They are picking up the slack of the modded class, and that is why they have a lead in the "Manufacturer's" overall winning season.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:18 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>HE-MAN
[QB]What engine doesn't explode after 100k miles?? Most engines don't even last that long.

QB]</div>the engine in my 95 accent had 130,000 miles and was running awesome when i sold it. now it has 150,000 and is still in exccelent. oh and most cars nowadays can easily pass the 100,000 mile mark.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:35 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>CudaJoe:
lmao, I heard the Mitsubishi Eclipse engines explode after a 100,000 miles. I don't think I want that. Better sell it at 99,999 miles.</div>As long as you take care of the car, there are no problems. The thing with Mitsu. engines is the timing belt. Change it after the first 60K and you dont have to worry about breaking or bending sh!t later on. It happened on my Elantra at 102K.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:46 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>HE-MAN:
What engine doesn't explode after 100k miles?? Most engines don't even last that long.

At any rate, the Eclipse's engine is stronger and easier to tune because it was made and developed to handle large amounts of power for turbo apps. The Beta wasn't. Hyundai is new to Rally racing, and new to tuning in general. Mitsubishi has been doing it for years. And from what I have read about the Hyundai cars and their turboed Betas, they dont last long, and are constantly breaking down...the only reason Hyundai is doing well is in the stock class, their driver kicks ass. Stock class means no mods, except your basic intake and such. They are picking up the slack of the modded class, and that is why they have a lead in the "Manufacturer's" overall winning season.</div>Umm, the BETA was designed and built for BOOST. It just never was put into the production car.

Pistons is all you really need to change. Even at 300hp, eclipses need to change rods like hyundai.

Beta is very similiar to the 4g63.

I watch rally racing, and I all ever seen them break is drivineline components. And if those did break. They would win more smile.gif

Koreans have been turbo charging BETAs for years. and I have never heard of cheuk complaining they dont last long.

Now if you are talking about the rally engine. Well. its a race engine. Its runs to it limits. Race enigne should be rebuilt after every race. and are being tasked. i am sure they keep that sucker in the 5-6 rpms range for the whole race.

Why do you think the BETA respondes so well to boost and ****ty to N/A? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[ September 15, 2002, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Shadohh ]
Old 09-16-2002, 06:55 AM

[quote]Shadohh:
Even at 300hp, eclipses need to change rods like hyundai.
Nope...my car is 300HP with stock internals. It has big rods, really strong rods unlike anything in the BETA. This is a simple tuning guide to get a stock 1G Eclipse to 400HP!

http://www.dsmtuners.com/tuning-guide/1gtu...stage2power.php

Do you see any internal mods? I didn't think so.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:07 AM

My friend has 300 HP (another 50 when N2O is on) on his Gen2 Talon with 98K on the clock. It blew a head gasket, but the rings are still holding 19 pounds without a whimper.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:17 AM

Get a GSX

AWD... and they run 14's

GS-T FWD turbo they run low 15's

Either car will spank a stock V-6 or I4 hyundai

Enough said...
I have heard of the crank giving out somewhere around 220whp-250whp in eclipses... but im not sure about that

Im currently looking for a GSX as we speak

All the eclipse turbos ive seen have ran nothing higher than low 15's

The slow ones are the GSR's... i believe those run high 16's to low 17's
Old 09-16-2002, 08:35 AM

I was looking at an eclipse before I bought my Tib before the whole HP thing. I'd go with the Eclipse myself it's an awsome looking car and performs great.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:40 AM

Look, I respect you guys and all, especially since you are major tuners, but don't sit there and tell me the Beta was made for boost...it wasn't. It's an economy car engine plain and simple. Also, there are very few people that have boosted their cars on this site and they have constant problems with it. We just don't have the support to make anything good right now.