Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Go Eclipse?

Old 09-11-2002, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go Eclipse?

I currently own a 2001 Tiburon and was considering turboing it...but after hearing about the insane pricing of parts, labor and tuning....i found myself a bit discouraged and am considering buying an eclipse gs-t/gsx....I still may go for the tiburon turbo, but was wondering if a turboed tiburon with other basic components (exhaust, intake) is faster than a stock gs-t/gsx. Anyone ever race a 97-99 turbo DSM or know for a fact that the turboed tiburon is faster? Im definately going turbo one way or another but im just trying to make the right decision that i wont regret....thanks guys
Old 09-11-2002, 05:49 AM

i only lost to a gst by 1 car length when my car was basically stock las year... and to a modded GSX by 1.4 last month.... there is a modded GSX running 16's here... not very impressive.....

a nicely built turbo tib could take either
Old 09-11-2002, 06:34 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>MyLilTibby2001:
buying an eclipse gs-t/gsx....I still may go for the tiburon turbo, but was wondering if a turboed tiburon with other basic components (exhaust, intake) is faster than a stock gs-t/gsx. Anyone ever race a 97-99 turbo DSM or know for a fact that the turboed tiburon is faster?</div>The potential for the Eclipse is much higher than the turbo tibby...and there's no way a modded GS-X (in good condition) is running 16's. Stock they are high 14's to about 15.2. STOCK.

If you were really seroius of going really fast, it's a no brainer. Get the Eclipse, I would recommend the first generation, they are cheap. Tuning cars is always expensive whether it be a Supra, Tibby, Eclipse. You pay to go fast

[ September 12, 2002, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Diambo ]
Old 09-11-2002, 06:37 AM

Vehicle: 99 Tib

eclipse turbo's aren't that good be better off buying a new tiburon GT or eclipse GT or GT-S the tiburon is cheaper but also has a lil less hp.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:04 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Diambo:
buying an eclipse gs-t/gsx....I still may go for the tiburon turbo, but was wondering if a turboed tiburon with other basic components (exhaust, intake) is faster than a stock gs-t/gsx. Anyone ever race a 97-99 turbo DSM or know for a fact that the turboed tiburon is faster?</div>The potential for the Eclipse is much higher than the turbo tibby...and there's no way a modded GS-X (in good condition) is running 16's. Stock they are high 14's to about 15.2. STOCK.

If you were really seroius of going really fast, it's a no brainer. Get the Eclipse, I would recommeng the first generation, they are cheap. Tuning cars is always expensive whether it be a Supra, Tibby, Eclipse. You pay to go fast</div>i didnt say they all run that... this one did... it was horrible... like a 10.6 in the 1/8th mile
Old 09-11-2002, 12:40 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Diambo:

If you were really seroius of going really fast, it's a no brainer. Get the Eclipse, I would recommeng the first generation, they are cheap. Tuning cars is always expensive whether it be a Supra, Tibby, Eclipse. You pay to go fast</div>no, an eclipse does not have any more potential. The Engine in the Tiburon "BETA" is built close to the same specs of the 4g63 in the Eclipses. The only advantage maybe be easier tuning, in the 4g63 becuase the ecu knows there is a turbo and more aftermarket support.

But when you are making real HP, like 400+ you are using aftermarket and so the eclipse is in the same boat as the tiburon.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:13 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>TiburonGuy99:
eclipse turbo's aren't that good be better off buying a new tiburon GT or eclipse GT or GT-S the tiburon is cheaper but also has a lil less hp.</div>I guess everyone has their opinion. I love my Talon and 95 Elantra. You bet the Tiburon GT, Eclipse GT & GTS will be seeing my taillights when I turn-up the wick.

SHADOW,
From my last statement I said just that. In the end, it will take money to make your car faster but the Eclipse is a better platform to start from than the Tiburon. I am not hating on Hyundai's but that's true.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:31 AM

I'd disagree with Shadohh, it doesnt take much to make an Eclipse go faster, few turbo upgrades and it can move, whereas working on a Tiburon will cost more intially like Diambo said.

[ September 12, 2002, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: leftside_ryder ]
Old 09-14-2002, 03:05 PM

I agree. The thing with the Turbo DSM's are the fact that they already are turbo.

It basically boils down to personal taste really. Do you want a car (Eclipse) that every person on the street (well not as much as that god aweful $hit-vic), or would you like to stand out?

[ September 14, 2002, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: MaierApril ]
Old 09-14-2002, 10:55 PM

go with the eclipse. the early 90s have the strongest motor but weak rear ends and the 95 and up have the weaker motor but strongest rear. if u arnt gonna be pushing the boost up much in the eclipse then dont worry about the rear end.
if u get it get a turbo timer boost controller intercooler or cai 3" exhaust and 3" downpipe and u r set for some nice hp numbers