Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

gauges for n/a setups

Old 01-25-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i would probably pick water temp. before oil pressure.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:53 PM

tibs already have a water temp gauge, other guages might be more reliable, but its still there to give you some warning
Old 01-25-2005, 09:43 PM

I would definatly take both... I find the water temp gages in modern cars to be nothing more than a pacifer. It tells you only when you have heat and when the car is about to need a new engine. When running it stays rock stead in the centre of it's range and never moves. Having owned enough cars with REAL gages, I can assure you that just giving a car throttle from an idle will make the temp DIP a bit before it starts to rise as it sucks cool water from the radiator.

As for oil pressure.. that is never a bad thing to have.. in any car.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mb1604)</div><div class='quotemain'>tibs already have a water temp gauge, other guages might be more reliable, but its still there to give you some warning</div>

the water temp gauges in our cars have like three readings. cold, normal, and your engine has already melted.

they are worth nothing.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Totally agree. On Tibs its not really a problem, but when you start adding power, hi comp pistons, etc... RX-7s used to fry all the time because the gauges were so horrible that the car would overheat before the gauge read too much heat.

Oddly one day when it was cold my water temp gauge stayed hovering below normal for like 3 minutes. Was wierd... only happened once.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:53 PM

On our cars for thoes who have EGT gauges whats it normally read?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:02 AM

Just for recomendation and a "safety advice" DON'T BUY MECHANICAL GAUGES... its very dangerous to have oil lines or water lines inside the car....

I bought a voltmeter an I like it at the moment when I installed the SAFC2.... the SAFC has a voltemeter option.... and its totally different from the readings of the Voltmeter gauge....

Oil pressure... Oil temperature.... would be my first two option....
Old 02-12-2005, 10:11 AM

i want to get a tripel pod mount and im hopeing to one day run nitros, i know f/a is one i will need, and fuel psi. which would be better out of the 2, oil psi, oil temp. my dad told me that oil psi would make more sence than temp because the temp is coralated with engine temp and the car already has one. what do you think?
Old 02-12-2005, 10:20 AM

well.. as we are bringing an old thread back to life... Oil pressure guages are nice simply because all we have is an idiot light.. and all that does is tell you when the engine is fried because it ran out of oil pressure.... but I have to say this, save for the one time I accidently did not tighten my drain plug and it fell out.. I have never heard of a tib that had an oilpressure failure without something else catastrophic happening at the same time...

and face it, our temp guages suck.. they let you know two things.. cold, warmed up, and your engine is fried.. if you notice it NEVER moves once it is warmed up.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

With nitrous the only gauges you might need are fuel pressure and nitrous bottle pressure. You could get a oil pressure just for kicks to finish off the tri-pod thingy.