Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Gauge Lights

Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I'm seeing. I'm actually pretty sure those three wires my finger is on weren't even plugged in because the cluster just slid right out. each one goes to one of the gauge faces, so that could be the whole problem..
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

you have a few bulbs behind the gauges, and none of them light up? Sounds like a dimmer problem, or a fuse. I don't think there's a separate fuse for needles/gauges tho. Oh, and getting new 'gauges' is usually just the overlays, not the cluster, so it wouldn't fix your light problem anyway

disconnect battery, pull the dash away, remove the gauge cluster, and try replacing the bulbs. Put the cluster back in, tighten it, and check for lights before putting the dash back on.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:36 AM

Are all the bulbs supposed to have a layer of blue rubber on them? and those three wires each connect directly to the stock overlay, which is what is supposed to light up, I just can;t find what they would plug into
Old 08-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

sorry, image is blocked at work. I can't see the pic.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:49 AM

Basically, I read REDZ DIY dash removal and overlay install, and it says plug the wires from the overlay (the three wires I have in my hand) into the inverter box connectors... Which I cannot find anywherez, even after completely removing my dash
Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Those are not 'stock' overlays. Your lights might be coming on, but those overlays might be solid. You don't really have to worry about the bulbs, you just need an inverter.

http://www.speedhut.com/product_deta...NUMBER-367.htm

Buy that and solve your problems. The last owner probably pulled it out.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:56 PM

So I would just need to plug the connectors into that, mount the switch and it would work?

And to be honest, I had no idea what the stock gauges looked like until I did some serious research, I thought what I had was stock, but apparently not lol
Old 08-04-2009, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Almost that simple... You'll have to tap power from the rheostat. Off the top of my head, I believe black is ground, and Green/black is the 12v source you want.

I'm pretty sure inverter's are universal. You shouldn't require a specific inverter for your overlays but maybe someone else can confirm this. A quick google search brings up a lot of 'universal' inverters, so you should be fine with a good one from speedhut.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:48 PM

alright, I have some extra crimpers from a speaker install I'll use to tap the power. Should I tap into the 12v source for the light in the ashtray if I want them to turn on when I turn interiors/parking lights on?

=) Universal Inverter Box was purchased and should be here 2-3 business days via USPS. Thank you frozen for your link and help on the matter.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 AM

Inverter arrived yesterday and I just finished putting my dash back together. Thank you frozen for your help and for the link I bought from fing02.gif

^^ scratch that, nothings lighting up. I checked the connections and everything. I have the power cut into the black/green wire and black wire cut into the black wire for ground. I cut them all into the switch for the fog light and when i turn the lights on the gauges still don't light up...