Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Gas Mileage?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very great ideas from these guys,
also

when changing plugs, make sure the proper gap is done, i've seen too many people not gap the plugs on this car and have no idea what's going wrong.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:42 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Just adding my .02cents into here.

I drive fairly spirited, and I usually get around 26-28mpg all the time combined city/highway driving. I'm in southern New Jersey so it's fairly flat land so terrain doesn't usually become a factor for me. The best mileage I ever got was 37mpg by filling up at a station by me, and then doing a 80 mile trip down to Deleware to visit my brother. I was on i-95 most of the time and drafted off of suv's doing 70mph (DO NOT DRAFT OFF OF SEMI TRUCKS IF YOU VALUE YOUR FRONT BUMPER OR WINDSHIELD!!! They will kick up rocks and road debris all over the place).

If you really want to contantly keep an eye on your mileage, I suggest buying a Scanguage 2 unit. I have one and it's awesome! I can track every aspect of mileage and also keep an eye on certain aspects of the engine at the same time since it plugs directly into your obd-ii port. I always keep an eye on the igition timing as when i'm on the highway, and you have good quality furl doing 70mph and being easy on the gas pedal, our engines will advance the timing above 35'. Once you see that you will see your mpg jump up considerably.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Fuel filter is definitly overlooked by many but its a key component with MPG and performance.

I was getting low 30's with general maintaince, changed the filter out and cleaned the fuel system now I average 37-39 mostly city. Highest I've gotten was 41.4mpg, and that was on a 80mi trip all highway at 68mph.

I like to bring the happy pedal to the floor every now and then to hear the fake spool given off by the airram, but normally don't rev above 3000-3500RPM unless getting on the interstate.

Everything Strike said should increase you mileage for sure.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

yea i probably going to change the fuel filter soon, but isnt i kinda a pain in the a**?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Yes.

Do it anyway.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i would stay clear of seafoam for high mileage, although some might not hurt.