Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Gas Mileage?

Old 10-03-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

for some reason i dont think im getting the same gas mileage as it is said my car should be getting. i think im gettin around 19-21 mpg when it says my tib should be gettin 23-32mpg. So idk if there is somethin wrong. Please help me out
Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a tuneup - get some new plugs and wires

Can you be a bit more descriptive? What have you done? What is overdue? How is the car acting?

There's not enough information in your post to give you advice... The only advice I can give you from that post is to learn how to become a mechanic.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:51 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

Well the tibs making 30+ MPG I've noticed are mostly highway miles and usually 5spd. I myself can make 34MPG when it is all highway and mine is auto.

It all depends on if you are stop and go driving or wide open roads. Your habits on take off, if you floor it from every light and stop sign that will bring down the mileage considerably. Usually 5 spds can make better mileage because they can shift sooner and keep the rpms down. But at the same time every engine has a sweet spot where it is the most efficient and some of us may get better mileage at higher rpms than others. It's the luck of the draw and how well your car is taken care of.

If compression is off I think that will affect it. Dirty air and fuel filters, not using a/c... lots of factors.....
Old 10-03-2008, 11:01 PM

alright well i drive around 25 miles back and forth to school almost everyday, and its mostly highway miles. I usually go about 65 when im on the highway. But im not sure when the last time i replaced my spark plugs and wires so i may check them tomorrow, and i was also going to clean my fuel injectors. But i usually fill my tank, hit the trip meter and by the time i go to fill it again its usually about 250, and i guess theres about another 50 miles left. So 300/14.5=20.6 so idk if this is normal of if im just bein a baby haha. But i will do a tune up and see if that helps any
Old 10-04-2008, 07:51 AM

Do a fuel filter to. Its not the most fun job but is most likely very overdue.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Plug/wires
Fuel injectors (either replace, or run some Techron through a couple tanks of fuel)
Check and fix any CELs
Seafoam Deep Creep (must do)
AutoRX (also a must)
Clean air filter
Inflate tires (35psi)
Fuel filter
1.8L ECU

Do all that and I guarantee your mileage will increase significantly. Besides the CELs, the primary things are the AutoRX and the Seafoam. I'd also recommend doing the Techron or at least filling up at Chevron or Texaco for a number of fillups. The rest you can do at your convenience.

What did your mileage used to be?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:13 AM

I check my gas mileage everytime I fill up. The best way to do it is reset your trip meter everytime u fill up and divide your mileage by how many gallons it takes to fill up. Plus I thought we had 13 gallon tanks?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'm thinking our tanks are 12.5, but I've put 12.7 before when running on fumes.

^he's right. Trip mileages divided by gallons to fill up. I checked my mileage everytime, I always got between 19-21. I drove fast, always on the gas, not being conservative at all. Now that I'm an old geezer, I could probably easily get 30MPG if I wanted to, but our cars are fun to drive hard. Best I ever got was 35MPG, after following another car on a road trip, all interstate, all speed limit. Probably the only time I got above 25mpg.

Another variable is the terrain in your area. If we were on the west coast, with flat roads and where streets run NESW, we'd get better mileage. The hills of Tennessee always have me going uphill and losing gas when I get behind semi trucks. Terrain is a factor, as well as the Ethanol content of your gas.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Our tanks are technically 14.5 gallons, but the car will run out of gas at 13.5 So somewhere there's an extra gallon we can't use... My fuel light comes on right at about 12 gallons, and if I put in 13, I'm starting to sweat it.
The way I do my mileage is this - I fill up (plus a couple clicks at the pump) and reset my trip odometer. Then when I'm empty, I fill up (plus a couple clicks, just to make sure it's at a consistent level) and divide the number of miles on my trip odometer by the number of gallons I've put in. This is the most reliable way of doing it.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:37 PM

thats usually what i do, i fill up, give it a few extra clicks, usually to the next quarter, then i reset the trip meter until it gets almost all the way down, i estimate how many more miles i will get then fill it up again.