Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Gas Mileage

Old 07-16-2004, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody, I have a 2001 Tiburon with the following mods. Injen intake, KORE Exhaust, Short shifter, and its lowered. When i drive on a full tank of gas and just drive local with the AC on half the time, i get about 210 miles. I know this isn't normal. Do you guys know what might be the problem? Oh and my check engine light comes on every so often for awhile, then goes away. My friend said my O2 sensor might have gone out or something. Please help!!
Old 07-16-2004, 06:04 AM

next time the check engine light comes on... have the code read
Old 07-16-2004, 08:01 AM

Something doesn;t sound right with your millage dude. With the AC on 3/4 of the time I still get about 30 MPG. Giving you the benifit of the dout that you filled up 10 gallons that still means you are getting about 20 MPG. I would definatly get that CEL checked like Mad said!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:11 AM

I will let you know when I take mine to the dealer to get looked at. I am having about the same problem. When I first got my car, it got like 29 mpg and then it went to around 26 and now it is down to 21. I have only put around 8,000 miles on it and most of my driving is interstate/highway. The only time I use my AC is when I feel like I am going to die of the heat (I hate the way it drags down the car!!).

Currently, I do not have any mods that would affect the mpg in any way and I need to take the car in before I get my exhaust and header put in because if I don't, then I know that is what they are going to blame.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:14 AM

Have either of you guys ran Injector / Fuel system cleaner through your cars? Or changed out the fuel filter / PCV valve?
Old 07-16-2004, 08:18 AM

I have not but I my warranty is out in 4,000 and I want a reason to take the car to the dealer anyway to see what they can find before the warranty is out.

Those sound like very valid suggestions though and if it was not warrantied, that would be the first things that I would try.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:21 AM

I have a 2000 Tib automatic with short ram, MBRP exhaust and AOS pulley. I get about 22mpg on the city/highway during rush hour (stop and go traffic) also on local driving (less than 45mph, traffic lights, stop signs, etc). I get 32 mpg when I drive on the highway with NO traffic and going 55-60 mph. All this with AC on.

The Tib comsumes alot in local traffic. But like everybody said go check that CEL.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:53 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

You don't have to wait for the Check Engine light to come back on. Once it has come on the code is stored and will remain there until it's cleared even if the light goes out again.

TiburonOnRice, keep in mind that things like air/fuel filters, PCV valves, etc. are not items covered under warranty. They are maintenance items that are your responsibility to replace as needed. If you take your car to the dealer to have anything checked out and have not performed the required maintenance they may not honour the warranty, if applicable, plus the fact that you will have to pay them for their time to inspect your car and tell you the things that need to be replaced. You are better off making sure you are up to date with your maintenance before taking it in.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:03 PM

Welcome to RD rallyman.....

Anton, hanquk9117, instead of posting all your mod info in every post, put it all into your sig.

Go to the home page and click on the profile link at the top.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:10 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rallyman)</div><div class='quotemain'>TiburonOnRice, keep in mind that things like air/fuel filters, PCV valves, etc. are not items covered under warranty. They are maintenance items that are your responsibility to replace as needed. If you take your car to the dealer to have anything checked out and have not performed the required maintenance they may not honour the warranty, if applicable, plus the fact that you will have to pay them for their time to inspect your car and tell you the things that need to be replaced. You are better off making sure you are up to date with your maintenance before taking it in.</div>

Duh, Thanks rallyman. I should have known that but I did not think about it. oops.gif This is the first car that I have owned with any kind of warranty.

Oh, welcome to the site!