Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Fuel Saving Devices

Old 09-02-2005, 10:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

With the fuel price situation looking grim, I thought it might be a good idea to just brainstorm some fuel saving ideas, do some research about products that may or may not work. I have already done a little research and have come up with this:

Fuel magnet gizmos are complete bogus. No MPG gains at all.

"Tornado" type products, the little propellor thingy, is a scam.

BUT... here are two products that seem to have some validity in their explanations on how they work. I have not been able to find outside test sources beyond the companies to validate there claims. But I have also not found sources that disproves their claims either.

One company is from Germany and the other is US based I believe.

The first is by a company called Stromberg from Germany. Here is a link to their site. Their device reminds me of the Nology hotwires, incorporating I beleive capacitpors to create a larger spark from the spark plug. But, they are much cheaper and can be reused when you want to change sparkplug wires.

http://www.strombergpowerbooster.com/

The other is called the Fuel Atomizer 2000. Supposedly uses gas vapors to trick the O2 sensors in sending less fuel but maintaing power.

http://www.cstoregoods.com/Atomizer.html

I'm no mechanic, but like most people, I am curious. I figured these items could use some critique and inquiry. They simply aren't a magical propellor or super cheap regfrigerator magnet. These devices sounded halfway sane. Then again, maybe they are just more complex and more expensive lies waiting to be bought by ignorant people, like, well, me! Hopefully this sparks some interest. Who knows, maybe someone will find that miracle device that will work. Gearheads: Hack at it! fing02.gif
Old 09-02-2005, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off...an MSD Ignition box is the same thing. But a larger spark doesn't really mean much in terms of fuel conservation. Mostly...it'll contribute to producing more HP (not by much) because you're burning 100% of the fuel, whereas your stock ones may be burning about 75%-80% efficiency.

However...that's mostly used with F/I cars...where you want to ensure that detonation does not occur, reducing misfires and possibly a weak spark that doesn't burn the fuel as much. You'll still be dumping in the same amount of fuel (mostly because your OEM FPR is set to a specific pressure and your injectors are pumping X lbs/hr...which of course is dependent on how much gas YOU decide to supply by flooring it).

See...the problem with the products you're looking at doesn't really make our fuel economy any better. It just makes it more efficient by producing/freeing up lost HP. If you want to get 30/40 mpg (city/highway)...then go by a Toyota Corolla...or the Toyota Prius...currently on 3-week back-order. But from what I hear...it's going to turn into a 3-month back order from the southern devastation from Katrina. Damn b!tches.

However, NA mods, such as an I/H/E setup should boost your MPG slightly (possibly by 1-3MPG). That's simply because your stock airbox, exhaust manifold, and exhaust system is quite restrictive. The gain in freeing up HP through those mods also yields slightly better MPG.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm bumping myself! nana.gif Does anyone else have opinions on these devices? I figured there would be much more debate on these.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:00 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibbytib @ Sep 3 2005, 04:35 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>The other is called the Fuel Atomizer 2000. Supposedly uses gas vapors to trick the O2 sensors in sending less fuel but maintaing power.

http://www.cstoregoods.com/Atomizer.html
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

ok less gas same power

huh? that really doesnt sound right

the best way to gain mpg is to keep the car in tune and learn some restraint
change the filters, change the o2 sensors, new plugs and wires then dont floor it everywhere and only drive if you gotta drive for more than a mile WALK some its good for you

i remember hearing that at startup you use more gas than if you drive for a few miles with it already running
Old 09-03-2005, 10:27 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

light weight products will help. such as flywheel, pulleys, and rims. just a couple of things that might help m.p.g.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:29 AM

Your "best" option for fuel savings is to lighten your right foot.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:30 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

also an excellent deivce... the lightend right foot! fing02.gif
Old 09-03-2005, 10:50 AM

Yep, your right foot is the most important determining factor in how much gas you waist. Changing your oil on time and cleaning/ replacing your air filter are two other things that you can do that directly effect gas milage.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:34 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Random @ Sep 3 2005, 11:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Your "best" option for fuel savings is to lighten your right foot.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

Ditto, coast down hill as well,... stick her in neutral smile.gif
Also, don't keep gasing to red lights, and if you like corners like me, I don't slow down much in them laugh.gif,.. you know, to keep momentum,... yeah that's it! wink1.gif
Old 09-03-2005, 12:09 PM

The other option is to check your tire inflation regularly (once a week). You don't have to inflate them to MAX PSI, but within 3-5psi of max should increase your fuel economy as well.

I saw 1-2mpg increase city and 2-3 mpg increase highway by airing my tires up to within 3-5 of max.

On of the other things you can do is install a "block" on your throttle body, or under the petal that prevents you from going over 75% throttle (open loop mode). That will keep the ECU constantly adjusting the air/fuel ratio near stoich. which returns better mileage than Full throttle (12:1) ratios. Of course, you could do this yourself by simply never going to full throttle, but some folks here have poor impulse control and need/require the help.

The last option...and I know you guys are gonna hate this. GO SLOW. Keep it at the speed limit. The slower your go, the less air-resistance, and also the less power/fuel required. The difference between doing the speed limit to Phoenix (a 400 mile trip) to doing my usual "5 over" is 4mpg... That's very significant. It also only adds about 20 minutes to a 6 hour drive.