Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Fuel Problem/sending Unit?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bad fuel problem. I only get around 200 miles per drive and i
dont run it hard either. I got new plugs and wires, coil pack, o2 sensors are
checked, an exhaust leak fixed and the fuel injectors professionally cleaned out.
First off what could it be?? the sending unit?? i have driven 72 miles and only have
half a tank of gas left?? also, when i fill up the needle sometimes goes to full and then
sometimes it doesnt. the final thing is that the low fuel light never comes on and this
tells me it might be the sending unit.. give me ur opinion... and is this a diy or not and
how much does it typically run to get this done..

Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You need to be a little more scientific. "half a tank" and "so many miles per tank" isn't the way to diagnose a fuel consumption problem.

Use the same gas station, and try to fill up at the same pump and the same time of day.

Record the odometer reading at each fill-up and figure the miles/gallon for 2-3 tanks full, so you can have a definite idea of how much fuel you are using.

Then evaluate your driving style and where you drive.
Aggressive in the city = <20MPG
Hypermiler on the highway = >30MPG

That said, check your air filter, and tire inflation
Old 10-14-2008, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

My opinion is your post is poorly written, and hard to read.

Please take the extra 1/2 millisecond to type your words out in full. Please break up ideas and different questions in your post by using the ENTER key.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:22 PM

Vehicle: 01/Hyundai/Tiburon

I had a problem not long ago where my low fuel light was not coming on.
But unlike you, unless you didnt mention it, when my tank would get low the car would start cutting in and out at random times.
My problem turned out to be water in the tank. I ran a could bottles of Heet through the tank and havent had a problem since and fuel light's coming on now.