Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Freakin Speedo

Old 04-25-2005, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, so i've sprayed contact cleaner in the plug and it made the speedo work for a few days. then it would stop for a day, then start working again.

the conclusion i've come to is, when it stops working, i have to run the car hard. i'll start up in the morning and drive nicely until it warms up and the speedo won't work. then if i start doing bursts of acceleration from 4500+ rpms, the needle will start jumping (it won't work if i get on it low in the rpms). it'll swing around for a few minutes and finally start working. it'll work for a few driving cycles, then stop again.

WTF :angry2:

does anyone know if hyundai switched speedo sensors since 2000? the reason i ask is the one i bought brand new has a sticker that says "4P/rev 6-32v," which i assume means 6-32v pulses every 90 degree turn. however, i think i remember reading on webtech that the pulses are something like 0-5v (i can't find the link right now). any thoughts? but i figure if that were the case, then the new sensor i have wouldn't work. i dunno.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:37 PM

It superseeds to 96420-2D500
If you got one of those it'll work.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

do this:

go to a junkyard. find a 96-00 elantra or 97-01 tib.

hop under there, clip the harness off. might as well take the newer sensor too.

clip off the end of your harness and sensor, and solder the new harness in place. might as well smush some di-electric grease between the harness and sensor too.