Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.
View Poll Results: Flush engine when changing oil or no?
yes, flush it (how often)
33.33%
no, not flush
66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Flush Or Not?

Old 05-06-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

When I change oil I don't flush it. But I flushed it once when I bought my car cause I didn't know what oil used previous owner.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:33 PM

everytime i buy oil i buy 2 extra qts.. 1 to keep in the trunk incase...and 1 to dump in with drain plug out so it flushes all hte old dirty oil out...it probably doesnt help but it gives me peace of mind lol
Old 05-06-2005, 04:38 PM

Everytime I change oil, I drain all old oil out, then add 2qts of fresh oil (less expensive oil, not synthetic) and I run the car at idle for like 5 minutes. Then I drain that oil for a couple of minutes to be sure its all out.
It's a great peace of mind and satisfaction to take out your oil stick and see your oil is clean even afeter a good 5000Km.
With oils being so good now, it's not really needed to do that, but I do it as an extra care and hope I am buying more time and Kms out of my engine.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:20 PM

zman- STOP DOING THAT RIGHT NOW!

2 Quarts of oil is not enough oil for your engine, even at idle. There's a reason the car requires 4+ quarts to operate properly. 2 quarts might not even be enough to submurge the oil pickup tube. Even if the tube is under the oil level at start up, once it starts sucking the oil down, it will drop below the level of the pickup and suck in frothy oil, then no oil at all....

DO NOT RUN YOUR ENGINE WITH ONLY 2 QUARTS OF OIL.

Use a quality motor flush every other oil change, that's all you need 2 do.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:30 PM

not a big fan of any flush. My bro had his tranny flushed and it blew shortly after. Not really blaiming the flush, but i just don't do it. <_<
Old 05-06-2005, 05:35 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Random @ May 6 2005, 11:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>zman- STOP DOING THAT RIGHT NOW!
2 Quarts of oil is not enough oil for your engine, even at idle. There's a reason the car requires 4+ quarts to operate properly. 2 quarts might not even be enough to submurge the oil pickup tube. Even if the tube is under the oil level at start up, once it starts sucking the oil down, it will drop below the level of the pickup and suck in frothy oil, then no oil at all....
DO NOT RUN YOUR ENGINE WITH ONLY 2 QUARTS OF OIL.
Use a quality motor flush every other oil change, that's all you need 2 do.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

WOW! That was close!
It's a type mismatch however, I meant 3 qts not just two, but my finger went to the wrong key and I didn't read that after posting. Thanks for the concern smile.gif
I did meassure the oil (with the oil stick) and after 3 qts the level is between the full and low oil mark, so I guess its safe enough... is it? :unsure:
Old 05-06-2005, 06:07 PM

3 might be pushing it... I definatly would not give it any throttle with that little oil in the engine.

Personally, I never flush the oil (except for the time I forgot to tighten the drainplug all the way) but I do change the oil ever 4 to 5 thousand miles. It still looks pretty clean when I change it.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

zman why dont you just eliminate any question and just fork out the extra couple bucks and put 4 quarts in there lol, not the type of thing you want to be careless about...

and no i dont flush, my oil comes out pretty clean and i dont think it would make any difference, changing it every 3000 miles barely tests oil now-a-days
Old 05-06-2005, 07:08 PM

I don't remember who told me this...it was Midas or Hyundai...but they said you shouldn't "flush" the oils in our cars for some reason because it gets all the dirt and crap into your system, and that you should just change it...I don't know if that was a "Midas/Hyundai Moment" or if it's true, but just letting you know what I heard.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:42 PM

Zman-
3 quarts might read right on the dipstick when the car is off, but you KNOW the car is going to suck up more than 1 quart of oil while running... so there goes that "dipstick" measurement.

The reason for the "flush" is to disolve the particals/sludge that clogges small oil passages. Even changing oil every 3000 miles, those little HLA passages or small bearing oil passages can get clogged up. The "motor flush" products disolve sludge which should dislodge any "solid" particals in your motor, so that they can drain out the oil pan or get stuck in the filter.

Motor flush at $3.99 is about the same cost as 4 quarts of $0.99 oil.....