Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Fluid Leaking...

Old 02-02-2008, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So everytime my car is parked for at least an hour or so, there is a small puddle of brownish oil under the transmition, or around that area. And it has a pretty strong  scent.Â

I'm assuming it is my tranny fluid (manual) since all my other fluids haven't really gone down and it has been leaking quite a bit in the past few days.

But I have also been driving everday to work and school without any problems at all, it runs very smoothly. Which makes things very confusing.

So could it be my tranny fluid?
And does tranny fluid have a really strong scent?

I'll probably have it checked out monday.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

what is directly above the fluid? how much fluid is there? is it brown or is there a red tint?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Because it has a strong odor and is brown, I'd definitely say tranny fluid (technically gear oil). Look under your car carefully for the source of it (helps if you leave it parked in the spot where you see the leak, just don't soil yourself) and try to pinpoint the location. Of course it won't affect the performance of your engine, just the way you shift. It may not be noticeable for awhile, but eventually it'll come back to bite you. I wouldn't drive it too much while it's leaking, or at least check and keep filled your gear oil constantly. Don't want to damage your tranny like that...
Old 02-03-2008, 12:30 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (majikTib @ Feb 3 2008, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>what is directly above the fluid? how much fluid is there? is it brown or is there a red tint?</div>

Directly above the fluid is the transmition, but it's more to the back of it (close to the firew all), and it looked
 pretty brown to me, i'll have to check again tommorow.

Yeah I'm not gonna drive it anywhere tommorow. I'm gonna try to see under the car too, but where could it po ssib
ly be leaking from if it is g ear oil? would it be directly ou t of the transmition? or is ther e any lines that I should check?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:46 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Most likely it's an axel seal or from the drain bolt. You can tighten the drain bolt easily, i think it's 21mm.

Check this DIY for axel seal replacement http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=23373

There's not too much else that could be leaking from that far back.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:59 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

if only it were auto it would be so much easier (service and go)
Old 02-03-2008, 01:30 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Automatic vehicles are the worst to service. Nothing about them are service and go. They are nutorious for problems and have all the same things go wrong with them as manual transmissions. There's also additional things which go wrong because they're electronically controlled. You also can't forget that auto transmissions have no power and are a joke for performance.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:06 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

i agree, but i do love the ease of keeping it full on fluid laugh.gif. in terms of a leak, pretty much the only things that leak are the pan gasket and the dipstick tube o-ring on an auto.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

both of my automatic transmission last just over 60,000 miles... not worth getting another one so I swapped to manual.

I was thinking of checking the axles for the cause of the leak... check DTN's post for my thoughts.