Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Finally- My Supertech Engine Details

Old 09-01-2005 | 02:55 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

well stuff like the throttle body you can buy yourself and besides you already have a airram right?

cam gears you can get on ebay for 100
the fuel pressure regulator - 100

cams you can install and shop.hp.com has 264 cams for 680

buy the pistons from wiseco 600(thats a high figure)
crank pulley 100

basically what im saying is get the parts yourself and save a bundle then have them install it if they are any good they can work with your parts to make them run perfect
Old 09-01-2005 | 02:58 PM

I say do it. To get NA WHP at the same level without going the root you're talking about is roughly $7000-9000. hmmm...thats a price difference that's pretty large. Also, if you do this for the $6000, since you're saving $1000-3000, you can boost your new engine later wink1.gif
Old 09-01-2005 | 03:08 PM

^No, he won't be able to boost the engine. He will be running high compression pistons, big lumpy cams and advanced timing, all of which are unusable with a (standard) F/I setup.

Talking of timing, what engine management are they/you planning to use?
Old 09-01-2005 | 03:17 PM

Agarwal is right. No Turbo later with these internals.

Although, they will do a wet Nitrous 50 shot if I pay them $500 US odd.

But I don't want a 400HP demon. Just a nice looking Tiburon that is efficient and quick enough to give a WRX a run for it's money. My goal is to have a car that can do everything a mid $20k car can, for less than half total.

Aviv

FaithofDragon, these guys aren't charging me as much for the parts as they are for the "build" of their engine and the tuning aspect. Like someone said earlier, the difference between a 170 HP and a 190 HP engine isn't necessarily the parts, but rather how well these parts work with each other. They wouldn't even let me source my own Maintec GT headers.

Wattsup, I paid $1K for this car. The rest will go into making it a reliable, powerful and very clean looking car. All in all, I plan on spending $10K for performance and show (including a good custom paintjob + 3 major body components from flyRyde for a total of $4K itself...CHRIS...GIVE ME THAT CADAMURO HOOD AND THE FENDERS MANG)
Old 09-01-2005 | 03:20 PM

why dont you buy a cheap 2-3k car that has low mileage and reliable and turbo this car and use it for racing for 2-3k
Old 09-01-2005 | 04:07 PM

for that kind of money, u could build one insane motor. i know the name backs alot of it up. but sourcing parts yourself, and doing a full motor build with a jank yard motor would be very cheaper, and you could go with alot more toys. i know where theres a few 2.0's local for pretty cheap also wink1.gif
Old 09-01-2005 | 04:15 PM

Screwdriver: if you are willing to drive to Canada to get your swap done, I would say to contact Denis at AtelierHP to get a quote on your project.

Altough I never did business with Supertech, I have 2 close friends who worked at Key Motorsports; they were responsible for the rallye Hyundai, and they had some work done by Supertech. For what I know, it was a troubled relation, but I don't exactly remember why. I'll try to get more info soon.

Call AtelierHP at 450-439-3518 and ask for Denis.
Old 09-01-2005 | 06:03 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Whatever you do, just make sure your insurance covers all your mods... You bought the car for 1K but you don't wanna spend 6K on engine mods only to wreck the car & be insured only for 1k... That's if you're insured at all!
Old 09-01-2005 | 06:11 PM

The head honcho at Supertech is Pierre Pichette, who was the chief motorist for the 1999-2000 motorolla cup. The engine that I am getting is the same design, with different Camshaft and different Engine Management (according to them). A 230 WHP version is possible, but that will cost twice the price I am paying and will not be good as a daily driver.

Agarwal, I will contact Dennis and see what he can do, but from what I am seeing, these guys seem ok. But please do find out whatever you can. You could end up saving me alot of hassle. Thanks.

Patrick, I remember what you said about a homemade, crazy blown motor, but unfortunately you're the man with all the skills and I'm not. But its still an option for me. I just need to weigh all of them.

OZ, yes I have insurance. I will definately look into increasing the insurance value. Good advice man.
Old 09-01-2005 | 06:25 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

^ No worries! (Re: Insurance)

BTW, if you want to learn about stuff like DIY forced-induction, it's amazing what you can get from things like Autospeed & just reading car mags. I don't trust my mates who just take heresay for fact without thinking for themselves...

With the hassle of driving to Canada & spending 6K on N/a mods, I would personally get a good mild turbo setup... Hell, I'd even just get a basic roots supercharger setup if you're not wanting to go too silly with power.

Edit*: I just remembered that you've only just forked-out for the Airram so I'd not go the roots route... Instead, lose the power-steering & go for a centrifugal supercharger.