Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Finally- My Supertech Engine Details

Old 09-01-2005 | 10:02 AM

Here's what Supertech, Canada, has agreed to do for approximately $5800 US.

Complete Engine Swap- Supertech 200 Crank hp engine

1) Oversize throttle body
2) Valve Job
3) Complete porting
4) 11.5:1 Compress ratio
5) Supertech ceramic coat header and free flow cat included
6) Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator and a fuel gauge
7) Supertech street camshafts,
8) Camgear
9) Complete brand new short block and supertech ported head

It sounds like alot of money for not that much power, so I'm still a little undecided. When you factor in my AEM CAI, AIRRAM, APEXI CB plus pulleys and lightened flywheel, 200WHP becomes a possibility.

I want a reliable car for sure, but I hear that reliable turbo setups are also possible as well. So I need feeback...I could always spend a $1500 less and get a little more power going the Turbo route.

But then again, Supertech is probably the best Hyundai tuning shop out there.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-01-2005 | 10:27 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

200whp will get you 14's. Do you really think that's worth $5800?
There are Honda guys spending that much on the entire car and running faster.

I must have missed your reason for not going turbo.
Old 09-01-2005 | 10:27 AM

Depends on what you want. I am sticking to NA because I don't want to throw a lot of money into my car because I don't know how long I am going to keep it (about two more years), but unless you want to race it into a NA category, it's not the best option, Beta engines are not the best NA performers (although they are pretty good with mild mods for a street sporty machine).
If you aim at 200~220WHP with a turbo (let's say to gain as much as with the Supertech NA engine) you could have a moderate turbo setup, with a small to medium sized turbo that could spool early enough to get you street driveable power, and provide you with a good high torque curve from the lower rpm.

I am not sure because I don't have turbo experience, but I have the impression most of the problems with turboed engines come from the owners going crazy and wanting more and more and more power, and of course they end up doing one of these:
1) Increase turbo pressure without the apropriate internals so they blow the engine
2) Change the internals to take the engine so far in power levels, that they spend a fortune and have to change many things because engine is giving 2 to 3 times the power it was designed to deliver.

With that money, I'd go to a mild streetable turbo.
Old 09-01-2005 | 11:53 AM

NA would be reliable, stealthy and most importantly, not affect resale value (I can sell the car without undoing any mods).

I have no turbo experience, so it would need to be done by a pro booster. If done well, it can be reliable. Selling the car will be a b**** later, but I suppose it's worth the $1500+ in savings.

Still in two minds about this though. Someone please offer some personal experience/ suggestions. Thanks.

faith, Im not "sending it off" to Supertech. Im driving the car there for them to install their engine which I am purchasing from them.
Old 09-01-2005 | 12:00 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

ok you state you dont have turbo experiance so you would have to send the car to be worked on by someone else and then yet your still sending it off to someone else?

lol
Old 09-01-2005 | 12:28 PM

NA isnt necessarily reliable....thats is a false statement and can end up screwing you .. a proper FI setup is WAY more reliable than a thrown together NA setup.....you still have to be carefule and in the GK for $5900 you can get the REAL turbo kit making 450whp .. so $5800 for 200hp is bleh .... you should PM/email Fixer and find out how much the SE turbo kits are ... the stage 2 makes 200hp
Old 09-01-2005 | 12:44 PM

^He isn't talking about a "bleh" setup, so your comments on reliability are irrevelant. It's a fact that a good N/A setup has more chances of being reliable than a turbo setup.

Anyone that says the contrary has not built/used a custom turbo setup (which refers to a turbo on a car that was designed to be N/A, and has no actual relations to the parts used, ie, kit versus eBay parts) and/or has not built/used an N/A setup.

I believe that the most "serious" N/A Beta around here is in Denis car (~1998 Accent); that damn car is VERY fast, and pulls hard. The power is linear, and very predictable. No official dyno, but he must be making around 180-190hp (being conservative). This is in an Accent, so I guess the "feeling" will be the same (because of the weight difference) with a ~200hp N/A tib.
Old 09-01-2005 | 02:46 PM

This NA setup is balanced and blueprinted by one of the best tuners for our cars. Supertech was involved with the Motorolla Cup Tiburon.

I doubt reliability will be adversely affected at all. My only worry is the cost. $6000 for 180WHP isn't alot. Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 09-01-2005 | 02:50 PM

how much torque? What are your plans with the car. Your going to put 6k into a car that you most likely wont be able to part out and get anywhere close to what you paid. I would go turbo OR buy another car for 6k
Old 09-01-2005 | 02:50 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

DO IT! and if you decide to get a FI set-up you will have an excellent base engine to start with (but factor in all the wasted expenses on headers/intake/non-turbo set-up usuable item/etc.)

Your money...