Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Finally Installed Exhaust

Old 02-25-2008, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, I almost closed this thread.

Off topic posts deleted, warnings issued to what, 5 folks in here?

Grow up.

Kewlkat, my eye is on you f***er, stop posting off topic, or you'll be at your 40% ban in NO time.

BOBZILLA, STOP QUOTING THE POST RIGHT ABOVE YOURS. Use the add reply button at the bottom of the page.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denisst99 @ Feb 25 2008, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>once you've done a few time it'S actually ''easy'' to predict the sound of an exhasut sytem on a car..
for an old grumpy driver driver wanting slightly more sound (especially deep)
4-2-1 header,high flow cat,glasspack (26 to 30'' both can be used) and finish it off wit ha dynomax superturbo

your flowmaster look alike is generating lots of resonance wich is what is annoying you
(i tried one on my car and removed it after 2 months)

i did a 98 lantra with key motorsport headers,cat,30''glasspack and dynomax and the increase in sound was barely noticeable

for the cell... we have a little O2 similator to fix that in case your ECU is very picky
power wise,even untuned you'll gain some power with the header and exhaust system,you won't get 100% of them,but a simple fuel tuner will fix most of it</div>

I agree fully. I've got the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, 36 inch resonator, and a high flow cat. No CEL, great performance, and I pass my VISUAL and OBD inspections for emissions.

Thinking your OEM ECU can't adjust for your new mods, is just not right. The OEM ECU will learn around it, and make it too rich, again. Where do you end up? Better performance, but still too rich. A standalone isn't needed at all, in any way, but you know that, but keep posting about it. A piggyback or fuel tuner, is all you may WANT, but you don't NEED any of it.

You can get by EASILY by just extending your rear o2 sensor to go to the back of a good high flow cat, having the first one extended (easily done without hacking any wires too I might add, I did a DIY on it here), and putting it in the right place will keep it all sweet.

Everyone is welcome here, but the cross forum bullshit will screech to a halt, or I'll just ban every trouble maker that comes in here. We should be able to act like a family, without running to another forum and acting like a bunch of b****es and calling names.

I see one more bullshit post in this thread, I'm going to flip out.

I'm closing this till I'm done editiing all the BS out.

Okay, opened. 6 warnings given (only one to Bob, so suck my cock if you don't like it folks).

Keep it civil.

Bob, I'd tend to agree, after re reading the thread, that it's your muffler. That's not a straight through, but it's just baffled right?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Elantra GLT

ok. . . Last night the car was quieter than it's been in eons at 72mph(indicated), load or no load. Perfect. Louder at 65 than I would really like but not so bad. I lowered the pipe at the rear a little for clearance off the bumper (I had planned to re-notch for the extra clearance). Even though it "bumped" against the bumper, the resonance was down.

This should be a sound clip from the camera. Audio isn't the camera's strong point:
http://h1.ripway.com/bobnjemiller/DSCN0001.WAV

Here's couple pics of a filthy, disgusting car in the garage of the tip:

Old 02-26-2008, 06:29 AM

Vehicle: Elantra XD GT

At least you didn't weld a hanger onto the tip, when people do that it looks like f***ing shit.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:33 AM

Yeah. . . no. I am going to have to use a small clamp on hanger behind the tip/bumper to stabilize the rear.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Feb 26 2008, 06:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>ok. . . Last night the car was quieter than it's been in eons at 72mph(indicated), load or no load. Perfect. Louder at 65 than I would really like but not so bad. I lowered the pipe at the rear a little for clearance off the bumper (I had planned to re-notch for the extra clearance). Even though it "bumped" against the bumper, the resonance was down.

This should be a sound clip from the camera. Audio isn't the camera's strong point:
http://h1.ripway.com/bobnjemiller/DSCN0001.WAV

Here's couple pics of a filthy, disgusting car in the garage of the tip:</div>

So it's quieting down a bit? I found that mine did that within a week or so after installing it, and the metal smell is now gone.

Looks pretty good, not obtrusive or ricey at all.

I agree on those other comments,hangers welded to the tip, WTF would anyone do that?

Bob, ever see those 2 sided strap clamps that go around both sides of the muffler/tip?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 AM

I've already got one in mind.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:32 AM

After listening to that audio, it doesn't sound THAT bad at all.

I'd say that new headers will for SURE deepen that sound, and a different muffler for sure.

Is the muffler you got baffled or is it packed? Baffled mufflers, from what I've experienced, are really loud, while the packed ones, like a Dynomax Super Turbo, are packed like a glasspack and much quieter.

Go take a listen to my new exhaust when you have time, I've got a 36 inch resonator and 2.5 inch piping with a super turbo muffler and Maintec GT Headers, along with a decently done intake side.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 AM

No header. I'm not sure who it was that made up their mind that I was getting a header. . . but it's not true. On the Beta II it's just not worth it IMO and it's a daily driver/commuter and want to make sure that if our goofy lawmakers put us through emissions testing that I'll pass.

Unfortunately, I can't see/hear anything from work. Websense blocks all. Home is pathetically slow dial-up. So. . . yeah.

I never said it sounded bad. I just said too loud.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:57 PM

Vehicle: car

Well, I just read this whole post right now. I do believe it's your muffler as well, but you exhaust will sort of 'break in' after some time. When I put my fart can on with my new headers/exhaust system it took a good couple weeks to get low. It sounded like a Civic with a can full of bees and a weedwhacker at first. It's still buzzy on my car, but it's the headers to blame. But again, comparing our cars is apples to oranges. I have quite a few N/A mods and a different engine/ecu. I'm not sure how you beta2's like things.

As for a muffler choice, my personal fav is a Borla, but at the price of a kidney and your right thumb they aren't cheap. Although I'm thinking about getting one just for a diff tone.
And just so you know, my setup is OBX 4-2-1 header, 2.5" exhaust with catco highflow cat and OBX fart can. It's LOUD.

All in all, I'd just give it another 2-3 weeks to break in and see if the tone changes. If it doesn't and your head is about to explode, change it. I more than understand the traveling. I travel about 60miles a day to and from work so my cannon gets annoying.