Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Finally Installed Exhaust

Old 02-25-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Elantra XD GT

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spoolin' SOCKS @ Feb 25 2008, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>i would have posted my thought about how you could fix this issue pretty easily</div>
I am curious to see what your solution for the problem is. Please go on.

And bob, for the sake of the conversation, I have a header and No CEL. No need for a standalone at all.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Elantra GLT

OK. . . let me address this stupid standalone issue everyone is hung up on real quick. . .

I KNOW tha tyou do not NEED a standalone to run a header. BUT, with the MAP-based Beta II's restrictive PCM you're not going to realize the full effect without a better tune. So. . . .addinga standalone to properly tune for the increased flow (since we have no MAF to do so for us) and using tha tstandalone to turn offthe rear O2 sensor is the option THAT I PERSONALLY WOULD WANT TO USE.

As a side note, I have considered prepping this car for FSP, removing the stock cats/exhaust, runnign a standalone, fender flares with 245/45/16 Hoosier A6's and shooting for 160FWHP. But I think that project will never come to fruition if I can get my hands on an 89-94 Swift GT/GTi.

Remember, us XD drivers don't have the MAF to help us improve power by simple bolt-ons. CAI, cat-back and the "freebies" may net us 5-6hp.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i don't know what could be making it loud, but the way i got rid of noise and buzzing is thrush glasspack. $30 shipped from amazon/summit. that cured it all. i've never heard of your problem.i've heard nothing but moaning because of header buzz, or catalyst below threshold, O2 sensors...etc. personally i've heard only three types of tiburon sounds--bussing, deep, growly. all of them are deep. the difference is usually the quality of headers, the kind of piping/thickness, type of steel, muffler, cat, and resonator.

my setup, and it sounds absolutely perfect unless i have a 1.8 cam in there. straight through. i might be losing some hp because it's under axle and the length of the exhaust is shortened and reduces pressure, but it's good enough for me.

the best sounding tiburons i've heard were the 1.6L with 1.8L cam and the 2.0 with the 1.8 cam and a nice muffler. The other nice ones i've heard had turbo manifolds and motoria catbacks.

if it comes down to it, i'd say your problem is the summit resonator and/or the chambered muffler. reason might be the fiberglass packing in both.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

don't worry about it bob, socks is just grumpy cause he sold his tib and it looks like caj is on some presidential ego trip or something.

Sometimes I wish I had stuck to simpler mods with my car. (as it now sits with a blown head gasket) I'm sure however you could get headers on there without too much hassle but I am completely unfamiliar with the map setup on elantras and tibs.

looks like a good setup though. A lot of people will tell you that you have to get a mandrel bent exhaust system, full 2.5" dp back setup with high flow everything. All I did to my car was swap the muffler to a used magnaflow and I jumped from 8 psi up to 13 and a huge difference in spooling simply due to the exhaust back pressure. Then for testing no exhaust at all only netted me <1 psi and nearly no noticeable difference in spool time. I'm not saying a full blown system won't be needed eventually/isn't a nice upgrade but it's overrated imho. (I'm talking price wise, I accomplished my goal with ~$100, a full exhaust would have been ~$300 without the magnaflow)

lesson: big gains can be found by replacing the bottle neck rather than the whole system.

edit: btw, the only way to get that quiet exhaust back is to sacrifice power with a more restrictive muffler. All I did was put on that magnaflow and it went from stock to "not load enough" for my 19 year old brother, "perfect" for me, and "Sounds good but its too loud!" for my 55 year old dad.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (j0hnh0lmes @ Feb 25 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why don't you guys warn the people bashing bob. He asked a question and ONLY need an answer. "You People" around here have a bad name from alot of other forums.

You can ban me for all I care, I come here only when I see people Venting b/c this site sucks so much.</div>
you might hear we have a bad name but its because we are a little more strict than most other forums, if you dont care, why waste your time and the 4 seconds of my life i cant get back from reading your post...

You want us to warn other members, not like bob did the mature thing either... so more than one party is at fault...

Im takin everyones grumpyness lately as that they didnt get any valentines day A** lol joke.gif

Side note: get multiple clips, drivebys, revs, standin still, etc
Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (j0hnh0lmes @ Feb 25 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why don't you guys warn the people bashing bob. He asked a question and ONLY need an answer. Not a bunch of smart remarks from everyone. "You People" around here have a bad name from alot of other forums.

You can ban me for all I care, I come here only when I see people Venting b/c this site sucks so much.

Grow UP!!!

For a forum of older people you'd figure there would be less child-like-play.

Bob, honestly if your having problems with how loud it is I would think about a silencer. It'd save you some trouble of having to re-work everything again and you could take it off when you wanted to "play".</div> Take your own advice, grow up. Relax j0hn. If you cared to read the thread, you would have seen the only moderator to post in here take bob's side (in case you missed it, I quoted it below). I was going to step in, but saw SOCKS and Bob talking in the Shoutbox and everything seemed to have been resolved when SOCKS offered to "start over" and attempted to help resolve the issue. There was no need for the comments that were made here, and our moderators will moderate fairly. There is already a discussion about it in the Moderator forum.

As far as older people, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Yes, most of us are in our 20s and SHOULD know how to act, not post childish responses like SOCKS and Caj did, but a majority of our forum does know better. We have a few problems to resolve with a few certain members, but it's nothing that any other forum wouldn't have.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Feb 25 2008, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>don't sweat it bobzilla, this will be taken care of. i'm tired of this nonsense that's been going for one week now. you have every right to ask a good question and share with us a totally new setup.

any OT posts beyond this you get it.</div>
Old 02-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned

alright, me and him were talking a bit earlier trying to track down the problem with what may be causing the loudness.

i am leaning towards the muffler personally. but i can't be there and listen to the car to try and help out more. we are going to chat about it more tomm. but he had to go home and 'slap the wife, and screw the dogs' or so he said lol. lmao.gif

the piping isnt much bigger, and its standard aluminized piping, so that should not cause a dramatic rise in sound..

the new resonator is FG packed and bigger that stock, which is giving him the nice tone that he likes, but prob. isnt the cause of the loudness (its new so the FG packing should still be fine)

the only dramatic change in the design was going from the FG packed muffler, to the pure chamber design. the muffler is probably giving him some of the nice tone, but may not be designed properly to keep it as quiet as the previous packed muffler design.

thats the only thing i can logically think of that dramatically increased the noise, but retained the sound that he wants. its the only real design change besides things going from 1 7/8 to 2 1/4 which is only 3/8" bigger. that wouldn't/shouldn't make much of a sound difference.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:29 PM

Vehicle: Elantra XD GT

You could always use denis' 38$ trick
Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

once you've done a few time it'S actually ''easy'' to predict the sound of an exhasut sytem on a car..
for an old grumpy driver driver wanting slightly more sound (especially deep)
4-2-1 header,high flow cat,glasspack (26 to 30'' both can be used) and finish it off wit ha dynomax superturbo

your flowmaster look alike is generating lots of resonance wich is what is annoying you
(i tried one on my car and removed it after 2 months)

i did a 98 lantra with key motorsport headers,cat,30''glasspack and dynomax and the increase in sound was barely noticeable

for the cell... we have a little O2 similator to fix that in case your ECU is very picky
power wise,even untuned you'll gain some power with the header and exhaust system,you won't get 100% of them,but a simple fuel tuner will fix most of it
Old 02-25-2008, 08:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

There are a few ways to get around the CEL. And with a standalone you will most likely get different codes into the system. Im definately not bashing the idea at all. There were people developing a plug and play standalone kit so it could be used with all stock components. I think since you are not looking into any real big power and to keep it as a daily, reliable driver that choice isnt the best for you. And its expensive.

What are your plans with the car? Just looking to add little bits of power or do you plan on eventually doing some form of forced induction? If you wanted some decent power when you needed it perhaps look into a decent nitrous setup. The car could handle it for sure and it would be a nice power adder. Really it just depends on what you are looking to do. Standalone is expensive but really could benefit even a stock car depending on how the factory tune is setup. So it would help free up more power but you will still have the check engine light.