Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Finally Installed Exhaust

Old 02-25-2008, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Elantra GLT

OK. . . Sat had it installed. 2.25" pipe from the rear cat, 24" glasspack resonator and ovet hte rear axle into the chambered muffler. Great tone. Obnoxious to listen to. Booms like a beyotch.

Still not sure how I can INCREASE the size of the resonator by almost 9" and go to a chambered muffler and get that much louder.

The Positives:

Great tone.
Runs STRONG to redline
tip looks nice.
great tone.
Did I mention the tone is fantastic?

The negatives:

Not exactly pointed where I wanted.
Loud.
Very loud.
Did I mention loud?

I don't know. . . I'm a wee bit confused as to why it's so obnoxious. I figured tha tthe chambered style muffler added with the longer than stock resonator would take out the reonance I heard inside. In reality, it did just the opposite. 50-65 mph it booms. I did lower it off the bumper yesterday and this morning it was a little better. He ha it tucked up against the muffler causing it to melt a little and reverb through the body. I need to affix a better rear hanger to stabilize the tip end still. Pics will come soon (tomorrow most likely)
Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

What kind of glasspack and muffler?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 AM

24" Hedman 2.25" glasspack, Summit brand (flowmaster knock-off)2.25".
Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 AM

its not a Hemi thats why! haha. do you have headers? b/c if you think its loud now just you wait...
Old 02-25-2008, 11:20 AM

Nope. No header. Not going that route unless I can run a standalone. Car is still a DD that runs 50 miles a day. That's why I'm annoyed at it's loudness.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Har? You don't need a standalone w/ new exhaust headers man. That's pretty plug and play, all it's doing is freeing up the flow.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:45 AM

You DO need a standalone to be able to turn off the rear O2 sensor. Removing my manifold/cat removes the last cat I have. So there would be a CEL at all times. Not gonna work for me.

Trust me, I know what's involved. I'm not a noob that's never touched a car before.

Besides, removing my manifold/cat would get me what, 3-4 hp? For the added annoyance and noise it's not worth that to me.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:01 PM

Hung? A standalone to shut off the 2nd O2 sensor after removing your cat because you swaped your oem manifold by a header?!?!?!

Why not simply install a new high flow cat with your new header and simply extend the wires to relocate your 2nd O2 sensor behind your new cat? It's been done by most people over here and pretty much anyone who's ever install a header on their Beta engines before, why wouldn't it work with you?

Anyways that's not the subject at hand right now. You basicly installed a new catback exhaust and it's to loud. The only solution you've got is to either have a bigger resonator or muffler or both. Or you could always make the trunk sound proof with some Dynamat or a similar product. But regardless what you do, you'll always have more noise/sound inside the car with your exhaust vs. the oem one, that's one of nature's law.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Now see, Bobzilla, I've been good with you so far, and I supported you back when you signed up and there was that whole shit-fit, so don't be a jerk to me now. A header is one of the easiest HP mods on a beta engine, because it's fairly cheap and frees up some easy horsepower. Here's a hint: you dont have to run without a cat just because you have headers. To say you even remotely have to run a standalone to have a header and not throw a CEL is ignorant. How do I know that? Well, let me go start my car.

Second, header's do not create that much noise. If you get a decent header (which is any header but the OBX 4-2-1) then you wont even have buzz. Even on the very cheap end the OBX 4-1's, which I run, are not loud and do not buzz. You're noise from your exhaust is a problem that should be solved at the exhaust.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:19 PM

Yes. . .I know that. Thanks Mr Obvious. I was running stock exhast back to the rear axle and had a Turbo Muffler hacked onto it. It was OK, but lisped from a slight leak and the tone was OK, but not great. Also, after about 18 months it had gotten louder.

I really can't run a larger resonator. I have a 24" one on now, replacing the ~17" old one. The muffler is what I'm left with. The 3-chamber Flowmaster is just too big physically to fit. The Borla is uber expensive. So I'm left with cutting it and installing a Dynomax Super Turbo. Not exactly what I wanted. I need the drone to go away, as this car DOES see long distance duty. We'll most likely be taking it to Belmar, NJ this fall for my brother in law's wedding.

This isn't the first vehicle I've toyed with and I highly doubt it'll be my last. It's far from being the most obnoxious sounding one I've owned. That distinction is reserved for my 93 GMC 4.3V6 with true duals, glasspacks and 3.5"x18" chrome tips. Sounded like a pissed off bumblebee.

I'm just suprised that using a much larger resonator and chambered muffler gets me MORE noise. . . Theory says otherwise.

Caj

Don't go getting your panties in a bunch Kiddo. You're running a Beta, I'm runninga Beta II. Different pcm's. I did not saythat I HAD to run a standalone, just that I would only do it IF running a standalone. That means I'd be running it as a track car only and looking for more power than what I have now and not caring about noise/emissions. As a DD and occasional medium distance cruiser (up to 1500 mile round trip) I need sanity and reliability/dependability. I've been around the block enough times to know that once you start to modify the car from it's intended purpose you lose that dependability and rock solid reliability the factory builds into the car.