Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Failed Inspection

Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys to make a long story short my tibby failed inspection..if you didnt read my last post i bought the car used and havent really done anything to it yet. I failed inspection for having a blue turn signal bulb and having not approved tail lights
(these taillights were on when i bought the car). Ill include a picture of them. So i have a few questions...Have any cheap taillights to recommend that would help me pass inspection? And while i was at switching them, i figured i'd clear corner the front lights and night shade the back lights.. will that pass inspection? Also, what size bulb is the rd2 turn signal for the headlights? Does anyone know? Thanks alot guys, btw if anyone would be interested in buying the ones i have now or trading i would definitely be up for that.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:34 PM

i'm pretty sure night shading the tail lights would be even worse than having those... i dont know why those didn't pass inspection, i can kinda understand the blue bulbs but you must just have harsh laws. i dont even get emissions testing where i live, its nice nana.gif
Old 09-18-2009, 10:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Dude, your best bet is to go to a junk yard or find some cheap OEM's and switch them out when you have to go to inspection. If you get caught afterwards, you'll face the fines, but you'll at least get your plates and registration.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

Front signals are 2357a's

but these sizes will all work too:

1016, 1034, 1152, 1154, 1157, 1158, 1493, 2057, 2396, 3497, 7528
Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well I'm sure your laws are the same as most, you must have side reflector's on both the front and back of the car. On the OEM rear lights the reflector is incorporated in the wrap around part of the lens, and the front turn signal has that orange reflector on it. In most cases the law states that all cars need a red reflector on the rear side of the car and a orange reflector on the front side of the car. It also states that turn signal bulbs must be orange with the exemption of red for the rear only. So saying all that, once you go clear corner you will be taking a chance and as you can see your rear tail lights has no side reflector on it at all. I myself have clear corner front turn signal lens with blue bulbs and c/f rear tail lights with no side reflectors. I have been very lucky as to not piss off any cops and have them pull me over as for sure they would write me up for that. You can also get a pair of front turn signal bulbs (orange) and swap them out as you see fit and if you want to keep your rears and get front clear corners you can always buy some reflectors from an auto shop and put them on the car side panels. (looks like shit but you would be legal) Larrs
Old 09-18-2009, 10:50 PM

Thanks alot guys for all your suggestions, i live in NJ by the way and nos4atu for the size..i appreciate it

so larrs im 16 lol and very new to the car thing, but what i got out of it is that i'd be able to keep those taillights if i were to put reflectors on them, is that right?
And as for clear cornering the fronts? I should wait til after inspection if anything?
Thanks again everyone
Old 09-18-2009, 10:59 PM

Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

I'm not sure about the rears and what to do about the reflectors, but yes, I would recommend waiting until you pass inspection before getting clear corners.(Or making your own as the site has in the DIY forum.)
Old 09-18-2009, 11:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You must have a yellow/amber reflector on the front corners of the car, visible from the side, in front of the front most door, measuring at least one inch by 3 inches.

The rear corners must have the same but red, behind the rearmost door, and also visible from the side.

Almost none of the aftermarket lights have them, but many never get in trouble because the lights are colored correctly and can be seen from the sides, or the red/yellow lenses are visible from the side.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:54 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Change that blue bulb which is easy and you might want to try some other inspections place, the guy I think was too much of a nitpick, I for one never had a problem because of my tails. You can just go and ask beforehand if you're gonna pass with those tails/corners, and try a couple of places that way.. if not just try to find some stock tails and swap them for the inspection, then put yours back if you like them more.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:47 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Exactly what radu said.

Any time you NEED to get something done by a shop, use the same one and make some what of a relationship with the guys there. You will never have this problem again.

I'd try else where, no "big name" shops (i.e jiffy lube, firestone, discount tire), look for a family owned.