Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhaust Restrictor

Old 09-28-2008, 02:26 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I installed a o2 sensor extender to put the Bank1 Sensor2 o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream. I noticed that it quieted down the exhaust considerably. The sensor extender extends into the exhaust pipe and takes up about 1 SqIn of space.

I assume that the restrictive nature of a blockage in the exhaust caused extra back pressure and is forcing the exhaust pulses to elongate as they go around that blockage. I also believe it is making my cherry bomb and flowmaster delta 40 muffler work more efficiently because it is not a straight exhaust pulse, but an elongated one. I plan on backing the sensor extender out some to take up less space in my 2.25" pipe.

But, this got me thinking even more. Theoretically, would it be possible to install an extra bung with a huge flippin' bolt stuck in there which I could screw in and screw out as a sort of exhaust silencer? My 2.25" exhaust is loud! Sometimes the power is great, but sometimes, like on a long drive, I'd rather not listen to it. Would it be possible to screw a giant bolt in to the exhaust and cause extra backpressure to use as a silencer on the exhaust?
Old 09-28-2008, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

..or get a real muffler. My Borla PRO XS is real quiet, and straight-through!
Old 09-28-2008, 04:13 PM
DTN

It'll still be too loud. I've got 2 mufflers already thanks. Both are real mufflers. My exhaust is probly one of the deepest you've ever heard and it resonates inside the cab. Stay on topic.

Both cherrybomb and flowmaster are 2 of the biggest lasting performance names out there. This is a theoretical question, I'm not asking what type of muffler I would like to buy. I have it, I have the tone I want. I need a silencer so I can balance power and noise.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

A glasspack does not quiet the exhaust nearly as much as a 'real' muffler, so no, you haven't got two mufflers. The fact that flowmaster has been around for a while does not necessarily mean that they make the quietest mufflers (esp. since they are 'performance' oriented), nor that you chose their quietest model.. What I am saying is that a quieter muffler would make the biggest impact. I have a glasspack and I changed my N1 clone muffler to a Borla Pro XS and it made a huge difference.

But back on topic, wouldn't the amount of 'silencing' with your method depend heavily on the rpm?
Also, another explanation might be that the thingy caused the exhaust to slow down, and thus spend more time inside the glasspack and muffler - and the more time it stays inside, the more of the sound is muffled.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Have you dynomatted your car? That would probably make the exhaust drone a lot less in the cabin and make your sound system sound better.

lol this came to mind when you said putting a bolt in there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBejbwpPFM
Old 09-28-2008, 06:05 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^i've done that. doesn't help much, and not worth it. if you don't already have a glasspack, try that. my exhaust is not too loud or too soft, but i do MISS those soundless drives when you're just tired, want to have a pleasant drive home and don't give a damn about cars.
lmao.gif

i'm not sure about the bolt DTN, but i will tell you this. if you make your own silencer like i had on the apexi one, that decreased the sound so much you could barely hear it.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:04 PM

Have you thought about sound deadening the inside? Makes a huge difference in road noise and exhaust noise.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:13 PM
DTN

Yeah, I've deadened my trunk with sound deadening tiles and all areas line of sight from the muffler with spray deadening
Old 09-28-2008, 10:25 PM

Ear plugs work wonders for long trips when you aren't interested in your car. If I go on long trips with a passanger in the car I usually load the back up with blankets and pillows. You can always do some testing by putting a long bolt where the 2ndary o2 sensor is. It will not hurt to test it like that before having another bung installed.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:57 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Luckily my muffler came with a silencer....but my exhaust 2.5" and is nice and quiet inside the car, and you really only hear it outside the car when it gets up to the higher RPMs. I really have this urge to do the dual exhaust, just because the space is there in the bumper, but I LOVE the sound I have now.

If putting the bolt in works...eventually its going to be rather tedious to have to put it in and take it out depending on your mood. Then again, its no different if I go and put my silencer in..

You'll also have to find a way to cap it off.....because when you take the bolt out.....your pipe will have a nice sized hole in it....