Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhaust/resonator Help.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wanting to quiet down my exhaust and heard a resonator will help, is that sort of a section of pipe that is bigger than the actual piping? can someone please explain what that is. My current up is 4-2-1 headers, dont know what kind, 2.5inch all the way back custom welded, with some sort of aftermarket smaller cat, and an apexi muffler. dosnt sound like crap but its just to loud and a friend said a resonator will help, sorry dont know too much about exhaust and imput will help.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Here's a quote from the wonderful Wikipedia:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Resonators

Resonators, also known as Helmholtz resonators are sections of exhaust pipe that expand to a larger diameter and allow the sound waves to reflect off the walls and cancel out. Resonators are mostly used to reduce raspiness and popping. Resonators are similar to an Expansion chamber, only for 4 stroke engines. They do not produce much back pressure.</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Glasspacks

Glasspacks (commonly called cannons) employ two tubes, an inner perforated one, and an outer solid one. Between these tubes, there is sound insulation. These mufflers decrease back pressure and don't decrease the decibel level much. Glasspacks can be used to give the engine a deeper "throaty" sound.</div>

Main difference between them is that a glasspack has the insulation, which really helps quiet down the exhaust.

I believe Cherry Bomb makes a good glasspack which I'd recommend for your setup. There's another good name brand one that I can't think of at the moment, but find a quality glasspack and you should be good to go. Also, get the longest one that you can possibly fit (24" is a good target)
Old 02-14-2008, 02:09 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=24043

Should be helpful. smile.gif
Old 02-14-2008, 08:02 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Thrush glasspack! That's the other really good brand, thanks zoned.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:07 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

i have just a 28" resonator section from a chevy truck on my car. believe me when i say that my car is quiet when i want it to be.

thrush, cherry bomb all of them will do what you want them to. just make sure its perferated and straight through. and you dont want anything shorter then 24"
Old 02-14-2008, 08:25 AM

i never even thought about getting a glasspack, i just never seen anyone do that before. Anybody got pictures of their setup with a glasspack? and should i just skip a resonator all together? the only thing im worried about is if i get one of the 2 it will give my car some kind of honda buzz to it and change my alltogether tone of exhaust. Geez i feel like just ripping it all out and getting a full exhaust, seen a motoria one on ebay he was selling the full exhaust with the highflow cat. I heard there is no more ark or apexi for our cars is that true?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:55 AM

glasspack is a resonator it is 2 names for the same thing

ie. LSD and Posi-trak

just depends on if you know the actual name or if you going off what uncle joe bob told ya
Old 02-14-2008, 09:47 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

A resonator is different - it is just a pipe which expands to a larger diameter and back, the principle is that part of the sound reflecting off the walls cancels itself out. A resonator is also called Helmholtz resonator.
A glasspack is a pipe with holes in it surrounded by fiberglass insulation which absorbs the sound.

Oops, this is exactly what Strike said above too. You did not catch that either optimo? tongue.gif
Old 02-14-2008, 09:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^
Radu is right, resonators dont have packing.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:01 AM

i have a resonator and it has packing in it. i cut it off the mid-pip from a big chevy truck. now those things dont have glass packs stock