Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhaust questions

Old 07-19-2010, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon SE
Default Exhaust questions

Hey everyone,

I'm kind of a nooob when it comes to this kind of stuff, so bear with me if you can... I've been reading the forums and it seems that a good investment for our car's performance is a decent cat-back exhaust system. Now all I know is that "cat-back" exhaust refers to all the hardware from the catylitic converter to the rear. That's as far as my understanding goes with these setups. Basically, I want to know what constitutes a good cat-back exahust? I'd also like to know the best place to get one (I've tried searching ebay, but come up with nothing but fart-cans) and how much I should expect to pay for it. I saw on JEG's that they sell a Pace Setter cat-back exhaust system for 280$, but they provide absolutely no information about it, not even photos. (link here: http://www.jegs.com/i/Pace+Setter/766/88-1490/10002/-1)

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

I'm on my phone now and will elaborate more later. It sounds like your best option is to have one custom made. You can order a muffler and resonator then have a shop supply the piping and weld it up for you. Should be around $300 total.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:15 PM

So showing up at somewhere like Midas would be good enough? They did a good job installing my muffler and removing a resonator that was wrecked from the inside and rattled, installing a piece of straight pipe instead. I'm looking forward to see what other info you've got, Winston. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

Yep, any place that does exhaust sound be able to do it. When I had my exhaust installed, it was $250 for piping, bending, and labor from the header back(all welded). A catback should be cheaper. I'm not home yet so I can't post links, but there are some really nice and cheap mufflers and resonators. Also something to think about is a header. Most tiburons have a second cat attached to the oem exhaust mani which isn't needed.

Edit: Here are some links. Muffler Resonator Header

The header is especially nice. Dyno shows +8hp and +8ft/lb on a stock engine.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Not sure what year or model car you have so it's tough to suggest a catback system for you nightstick.

Getting one custom made is a good option. The main downfall is that most custom exhaust shops crush bend their pipes, and a lot will only use aluminized piping. A good catback will have stainless steel piping and mandrel bends. It is possible to have a custom exhaust made with mandrel bends and stainless steel, but the price generally goes way up for that.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Look up hyundaishark21's build, he was able to piece together and get a decent exhaust for about the cost of one online. The best part is that with custom built exhausts you know they will fit.

shop around for a place that will not kill you in labor
Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 PM

Thanks, Winston, that's very helpful! Question though: does doing that kind of custom cat-back exhaust make the car sound like every other fartcannon/lawnmower on wheels? Midas was ridiculously expensive when I went there. 250$ to buy and install a Cherrybomb muffler (which isn't all that great, to be honest). It was nearly 150$ to cut out a busted resonator and weld a piece of straight-pipe. Wondering how good my father is at exhaust work and then maybe that will be my next winter project is new header + exhaust. Would definitely complement the engine rebuild well.

By the way, I am driving a 1999 Tiburon, 5 speed manual. Have an AEM CAI and running at a much higher compression than stock.

Thanks guys, your answers are appreciated!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

another exhaust build to look at is REDZMAN's build. he had a mandrel bent, under axle doneup at a local muffler shop for fairly cheap. i'm not for sure if kfx is selling them or not but they were planning to at one time.

I was impressed with it. not overly loud (only when you got on it) and sounded just as good as my apexi catback that is damn near impossible to find anymore that was made for the rd2.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:31 PM

Vehicle: 12 second tib

You're not going to notice any performance gains with just a catback on a 4 banger. I remember when I got mine for my v6 and had an intake and it felt like I actually lost some midrange torque from less backpressure. If you just want it for a deeper and louder sound, or if you plan on doing a header later, then by all means go for it...
Old 07-22-2010, 12:38 PM

In reply to Garc, I didn't expect just a regular cat-back exhaust to produce much more gain in horsepower. However, I'm not spending upwards of $300 on an exhaust setup if it's just going to sound "deeper" either. If I do go for it, I'll probably follow Winston's advice on the header and get the glasspack resonator and muffler. Total adds up to a little more than I was hoping to pay, but it could make for a nice winter project while I've got the car stored. Just hoping my father is cool with doing some exhaust welding in the garage.

Should have picked up that Apexi exhaust that was for sale a few months back... That would have been crazy, and simpler.

Thanks again everyone, your advice is very much appreciated!