Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhaust Questions?

Old 10-16-2005 | 10:56 PM

I really don't want a ricey exhaust, so this is what i have in mind. (Custom)

SS Autochrome 4-2-1 Header
Carsound Magnaflow Cat
Custom 2.25" Cat-Back Piping
Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow Muffler

Yes i know that with the flowmaster i will be sacrificing some power/flow, but i am willing to do this so i can hopefully have a nice (NO RICE) sound.

Any thoughts on this would be great, like how it would sound, etc.

1999 Tiburon FX 2.0L
Old 10-16-2005 | 11:11 PM

If you are looking for good sound, SSA headers is not a good way to start. Get some headers from kspec or flyride and get them Jet-Hot coated. Make sure piping is mandrel bent. Get Borla or Magnaflow muffler, slowmaster doesn't sound too good on 4 cyl cars.
Old 10-17-2005 | 05:16 AM

you also want to put a large resonator if you want it to sound good.. if not then you're going to get a buzzy sound at top end
Old 10-17-2005 | 11:32 AM

The header is the problem. If you want a good header, I'd go with a Maintec 4-2-1 off Kspec. Or if you're lucky, look for some left over RSide 4-2-1's, which is what I have.

I think the secret is a big cat, and a big glasspack. The bigger the glasspack the more sound it eliminates, especially the buzz at high RPMs.

I think Magnaflow are among the best mufflers for our cars. The_Alpha_Male went custom with his exhaust with OBX headers, a catco cat I believe, custom crush bent 2.25" piping with a Magnaflow muffler and he LOVES the sound of his exhaust. Nice and deep.

Only thing is that I'd go mandrel bent, Midas can do it for ya.

I dont know how much that'd end up costing you. I was going to go custom with the HKS sport dragger, but it seems like the quality is pretty poor in the long run. So now I've decided to stick with my original plan and go with a Motoria catback with a hi flow cat and a decent sized glasspack.
Old 10-17-2005 | 12:14 PM

The SSA Autochrome header has a habit of rusting fairly quickly so if you're going to get one, get it ceramic coated first. Also, what exactly do you mean by a custom exhaust? Are you going to get mandrel or crush bend? If you're going to go crush, I'd wait up untill you can get a mandrel bend.
Old 10-17-2005 | 12:16 PM

2k,
Could you point me in the direction of a Midas that does mandrel bends in the KOP area?
I can't find anyone in South Jersey that'll do it - I work out in Blue Bell. I weld up my own exhaust stuff, but it would be nice to find someone local that would sell me the bends.

Thanks,

-Fran
Old 10-17-2005 | 08:48 PM

Ah, Blue Bell that's like 5 mins away from here.

Well I'm like 99% sure the Midas near me does mandrel bend exhaust, but I think if you go with a custom Flowmaster that they distribute, they'll charge you hell.. like $350 for the mandrel bends and all.

PM me if you wanna know the addy and such.
Old 10-17-2005 | 09:48 PM

Ah, sorry for making so many topics.....Didn't Realize..

Anyway, I think i have it figured out now.

Shark Racing 4-2-1 Header
MagnaFlow Hi-Flow Cat
26" Thrush GlassPack
MagnaFlow Muffler
All connected with custom mandrell bent 2.25" piping.

How do think this would sound/perform?
Would a Catco Cat be better or should a MagnaFlow Cat be fine.
Also could i get away with an OBX header, or would it be buzzy? I'm leaning towards the Shark Racing Header.
Remember i'm looking for a deep, "not too loud" sound.
Lastly does it matter which magnaflow muffler i buy, or can i just go to my local parts store and buy a universal one with 2.25" inlet/outlets?

What do you mean be careful with the shark racing header??

Thanks!

1999 Tiburon FX 2.0L
Old 10-17-2005 | 09:57 PM

that company has a reputation of not sending out products or taking months for you to get them
Old 10-17-2005 | 09:57 PM

Shark racing has a reputation of a bad vendor. A lot of people complained about waiting times and their bad customer service.

OBX header will most likely be buzzy even with the rest of the nice setup you chose.

Why don't you get into the Blacktib's GB for hot shot headers? They will not bolt on to the stock exhaust, but you are going custom, so it doesn't really matter.

For the muffler, look them up on ebay.