Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhaust questions..

Old 08-05-2004, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default GB: TigerLily 65mm bbtb for turbo use

okay i have seen a lot of controversy and heard a lot of different opinions and honestly i don't know anything about exhaust systems myself so..

i have 2.0 RD1 with the stock exhaust, whenever you floor it or drive hard it always smells...i cannot describe the smell, but it's there.
so if i were to upgrade my exhaust, what is a good system to look at for overall PERFORMANCE, i do not care about tone much ?
would that even fix this? although id like to upgrade anyway
thanks
Old 08-05-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Re: need an opinion: fuse holder w/ volmeter

Usually when a catalytic converter dies, it stinks, but maybe thats just me? Is the car running more differently than normal? If so it might be running rich but doubtful.. Any smoke out of the tailpipe? If not its probably a bad cat..
Old 08-05-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Re: How to open headlights for Angel Eyes?

You get that too? From day one my car has come down with a funky metallic smell whenever I keep it at WOT through a couple of gears... never been able to figure out exactly what it was... sometimes it smells like burning metal.. other times melting plastic.. either way, it is enough to keep you from going all out.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:01 AM

Default Re: AEM Intake

it's definitely smells bad, and it is impossible to tell what it smells like because it's not strong.
on one occasion i saw smoke coming from the tail when i was done and had shut the car off, that was after a pretty hard run, i've never looked any other time so maybe so?

mad i wish we could figure it out! lol but it sounds like yours is a bit worse than mine...mine smells, i can't describe it but it is not strong but it's definitely coming from the car and probably shouldn't be!
Old 08-07-2004, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Custom Short Shifter.

If your car is under warranty, take it to the dealer and ask them. Let them know about that the smell. It won't hurt--that is if you TRUST your dealer. Changing your exhaust will not fix your problem (unless your thinking of changing the cat IF your problem is the cat) but it is a good upgrade to have. Everyone and their mother recommends MBPR. I hope this helps
Old 08-07-2004, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Grounding kit???????

It's your cat, but from what you describe, you should be fine

If you're dumping fuel, by jamming on the gas, the cat can't keep up with what you're feeding into it, so the smell is basically unburnt fuel, passing through the cat.

Any smoke, what color was the smoke?
Old 08-08-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: 20 WHP from just an intake?!

grey, black..? i didn't look too closely.
so if i were to replace my cat which one should I get to improve performance, links anyone to a good exhaust system with a cat
thanks
Old 08-08-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Help with rims

Grey/Black smoke generally means real rich..
Old 08-08-2004, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Exhaust questions..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iamcyclopseatme)</div><div class='quotemain'>Grey/Black smoke generally means real rich..</div>

WHICH IS FROM JAMMING ON THE GAS!!!
Oy, listen people
:roll:
Old 08-20-2004, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Rear Fog light install help

I used to have something similar to that happen to me.

Turns out my exhaust manifold was cracked, and my flex pipe had holes in it. Might wanna check those two components.