Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhaust Question

Old 07-11-2004, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dweet)</div><div class='quotemain'>just dont get aluminum bro..... itll rust, .</div>

:roll:

I work in Tool & Die (Metal shop) ... And Im telling you right now that:

Aluminum does not rust

This is why it is used when making soda cans wink1.gif
http://www.freeessays.cc/db/17/etn1.shtml

I've had a good experience with Midas when I got my suspension upgraded.

There are idiots working everywhere, ... not just at Midas wink1.gif
Old 07-12-2004, 12:16 AM

I've had galvanized aluminum on my XD for over a year and it looks great! it will rust eventually, but not any time soon! and yes get mandrel bents, just because "crush bents are better than mandrel"
Old 07-12-2004, 11:00 AM

Default R-Side advanced Short Shifter

Yeah, Stainless would look better but then again, how many people see the pipe going from your cat to muffler? I am going to start making some phone calls and hopefully get this thing installed this weekend. I am going to see about having them install my header as well because I read the DIY and it sees like a pain in the a**!
Old 07-12-2004, 11:59 AM

header install is pain in the as*??? it took me a lil over 2 hours to install it with driving around lookin for 2 bolts smile.gif
Old 07-12-2004, 12:05 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>There are idiots working everywhere, ... not just at Midas </div>

BURN! I had no idea aluminum didn't rust. I guess you learn something new everyday. laugh.gif
Old 07-12-2004, 12:10 PM

nope.. Aluminum does corrode... but not like steel. Aluminum has a couple of interesting properties. One, if you can get it hot enough, it will burn... Not melt, burn. And it self Aneals.. if you scratch aluminum.. it will corrode where you scratch it, filling in the scratch,
Old 07-12-2004, 03:44 PM

I'm still correct,
I never said aluminum did'nt "corrode" wink1.gif

All materials have their breaking points. but it still does'nt rust smile.gif

Theres a guy at my work who has a certain blood type that if he touches
any kind of Un-hardened steel, it will rust and form a perfect finger print in the steel, ... Pretty crazy!

I think it has something to do with the iron in his blood? im not sure but its cool, I told him never to ride in my car ,LMAO.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:50 PM

So, are we saying that an aluminum exhaust would be just as good as stainless steel? If it will perform just as well, there is one property of aluminum that is better than stainless steel and that is price!
Old 07-12-2004, 03:55 PM

- And its lighter.

The heat would be a factor, as aluminum IS a soft metal.. but are'nt our engines made of aluminum?
Old 07-16-2004, 12:05 PM

So, I went through the phone book and no one in the Peoria area has a mandrell bender. According to some shops, no one in central Illinois has one! evil.gif

I am taking a little road trip to Chicago next month and I think that this will be the perfect opportunity to get the work done. What I was wanting to know, does anyone here have any good experiences with shops in the Chicago land area? I know that I can find some shops and make some phone calls, but does anyone have any experiences with a shop?

Also, I don't like to wait for things and since my muffler is going to be delivered today, I was going to have a shop weld it onto the stock exhaust and then get the cat-back next month. Good Idea/Bad Idea?