Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhaust Question

Old 07-09-2004, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I just ordered my Apexi N1 muffler and now I am looking for a shop to bend me a cat-back exhaust.

I do not have a 2nr shop around here so I am left with discount muffler shops. I went to Midas today and asked them how much it would cost to bend me a pipe from the cat back in stainless steel with mandrell bends. I told him that I had a Hyundai Tiburon and got the famous responce "A Honda what?" :roll: He told me that he could quote me if I had a big Chevy Truck and was putting dual exhaust on but he would need to look at the import in question before he could quote. His responce was expected but still frustrating and shows further how little respect the import community gets in this area. evil.gif

Anyway, he told me that they do not use stainless steel. They only use aluminum and it will hold up as long as stainless (2 to 7 years according to this guy) and it is cheaper.

Well, I am not all about saving money when it comes to my car. I am all about excellent parts at a decient price as I am sure most people here as well. My question is, other than looks, am I going to gain anything by finding a shop that will use stainless steel instead of aluminum?

Also, what would you guys consider a fair price on something like this as my muffler is in the mail and I am getting a quote tomorrow. I am going to shop around but I was wondering what some of you guys have paid or even charged for something like this.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:08 PM

First of all, Aluminum doesnt last as long as stainless steel. Aluminum will rust ,stainless wont. Second you should get a 2.25"catback if going N/A or 3" if going FI. Plus if you are from Peoria and dont have any import place take a nice road trip to chicago and find a place that does it right. Im sure there is someone on here from Chicagoland who can point you in the right direction.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Tuscani Pedals

Thanks for the input. I am going to get 2.25" catback.

Is the shop that does it that important? I mean I understand that you want shops to have experience in what you are dealing with but how many different ways can you bend exhaust. I told the guy that I was bringing in my own muffler and I want 2.5" mandrel bends all the way back for performance and he understood what I was talking about. If there is that much of a difference, I am willing to drive to Chicago/St. Louis/Indianapolis.

I am taking my car to Midas tomorrow and they are going to check it out and give me a quote.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:18 AM

just dont get aluminum bro..... itll rust, if i were you id just sell the muffler and get on ebay and get a bolt on catback.. as far as the shop that does it well I guess it doesnt matter as long as they do mandrel bends and not crushed bends but i doubt midas has a machine to do mandrel bends because they are expensive and would cost everyone else even people that get crushed bent exhausts extra money. which isnt good for non-performance people. Plus the people that work there are idiots from my experience.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:59 AM

Please do not go to Midas-- they are idiots at least down here and gave me such a hard time... i had to get my exhaust and headers done and redone MANY times... i had it done a final time and i left them a box including camber bolts, test pipe, and some other parts== came back the next day and noticed i had no cat on my car-- they blamed me and tried to charge more-- i had to call corporate to avoid 150 to put back on my cat that i didnt want off... oh well yeah they also use crush bends and dont know performance or imports at least around here== find a good import shop or performance place and you should be okay...
Old 07-10-2004, 01:35 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hardhittintib)</div><div class='quotemain'>Please do not go to Midas-- they are idiots</div>

Well, I wish that I read this before I even wasted my time today. I really want stainless but I figured I would at least get a quote from Midas.

I sat in the waiting room for about 1/2 an hour before they pull my car in. They lifted my car up and this is the conversation that we had:

Midas: "Since you do not have the muffler here, we cannot give you an exact quote"
Me: "Well, can you at least give me a ball part estimate?"
Midas: "$50-$75"
At this point I am thinking that this is a pretty good price even if it is aluminum but here is where the frustration really begins to set in.
Me: "That is Mandrell bends and not crush correct?"
Midas: "You mean the kind with the dimples?"
WTF, you are the manager of a muffler shop and you do not know the difference between mandrel bends and crush bends?

After I explain the difference to him, he attempts to explain how crush bends are better than mandrel bends!! Seriously, this is not mis-typed!!!

No thanks. So anyone in the Midwest know of any shops that actually have experience doing something like this? I know that there is not anything in my immediate area but it looks like I am going to have to take a little road trip.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

http://yp.yahoo.com/yp/Spring_Bay_IL/Autom...ns/7844603.html

http://www.informationpages.com/sys/pagese...nd%20Mufflers#0

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!!!
Old 07-10-2004, 02:50 PM

crushed bends are better than mandrel... that is a new one on me!
Old 07-10-2004, 04:03 PM

told ya they were morons :roll:
Old 07-11-2004, 08:43 PM

Thanks Redz, but I was looking for a shop that possibly someone here has had good experiences with. If no one knows of one, I will start making some phone calls. Now I got a muffler and headers on the way!!!