Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhaust Question

Old 12-04-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: Bomz Racing Cold Air Intake

I'm not diassagreeing that mandrel bent is better, but if you were on a budget and made it so the small parts of the crush bends were the same size as if you had just mandrel bent it, you wouldnt be at THAT much of a disadvantage.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Exhaust Question

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TibMinn)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm not diassagreeing that mandrel bent is better, but if you were on a budget and made it so the small parts of the crush bends were the same size as if you had just mandrel bent it, you wouldnt be at THAT much of a disadvantage.</div>
true, but its still not that great. I have crush bent on my XD and it's not that great 02.gif
Old 12-04-2004, 04:59 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>I didn't say they would be comparable, just that 2.25 crushed or press bent wouldn't do much over stock.</div>

laugh.gif Yes they are not going to be comparable, within a reasonable sense. Mandrel may get you a tiny smidgeon of power over press bent. We're talking less than 4HP. There are 4 bends in the stock exhaust from the cat back. The majority of the exhaust is straight. The wrinkles are actually probably going to help your low end so you get some backpressure. Its almost the same argument as those who say when your racing, don't use a muffler. You won't need it as your always going to be over 5000RPM or those who say run with no catalytic converters at all. If your that concerned over a few wrinkles, go look inside your stock cat. That is where a majority of the restriction from the stock exhaust is.

In my opinion, mandrel sacrifices low end torque for high RPM gains. I don't run around in high RPM (well, try not to) all day, so I don't feel the gains are worth the loss in torque and loss of another hundred or two dollars. But that is just me.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Bomz Racing Cold Air Intake

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>TibMinn wrote:
I'm not diassagreeing that mandrel bent is better, but if you were on a budget and made it so the small parts of the crush bends were the same size as if you had just mandrel bent it, you wouldnt be at THAT much of a disadvantage.</div>

true, but its still not that great. I have crush bent on my XD and it's not that great </div>

i didnt say it was great. the key part was "if you were on a budget"
and i also agree with hamhead on somethings. a big part of it is personal preference and it could be argued for an eternity.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:33 PM

it could be someone's preference to have crush over mandrel bend, but if you look at every single aftermarket exhaust you can see that no one sells crush bent.

well, im gonna stop arguin because you guys have your own opinions and I have to agree with that when you are on budget crush will be fine, but then you might not get the exhaust at all because there will be 1-2hp gain.... not worth it, do it right the 1st time!
Old 12-04-2004, 05:36 PM

doin it right the first time is the best way to go man! no argue to that. and i didnt mean to attack you or nothing man, no hard feelings OP?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:38 PM

No offence taken smile.gif
we are here to express our opinions and thoughts, so it's all good!
as you can see I went with crush bent as well because I was on budget and now I'm sorry about it.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:40 PM

thats a good word of caution to people interested
Old 12-04-2004, 05:46 PM

smile.gif Don't feel sorry OP, That 200 bucks you saved was good money for a header that willl free up like 15 horsies, or an S-AFC for like 10 smile.gif

You would feel kind of bad if you went with 2.25 mandrel and went turbo later. Thats the point im trying to make, if your confused on what direction your going with your car, N/A or turbo, then something cheap is best for the year or so till you make up your mind. 2.5 mandrel is the middle ground, but not a cheap one unless you live with Redz. laugh.gif
Old 12-04-2004, 05:52 PM

I got a header at the same time smile.gif
well, I just wish that I went 2.5 mandrel bent at that time, so I could be pimpin my elantra now smile.gif
btw, header does not free 15hp, 6-8max.