Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.
View Poll Results: Which Would Help Most?
FlowMaster Hushpower2 Inline Muffler
50.00%
Dynamat Extreme Interior
50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Exhaust Noise

Old 06-22-2005, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I wouldn't put second mufler, I would put resonator or glass pack.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:23 AM

Resonators or glasspacks I thought only did so much. Where as a chambered muffler would do more (so I thought). Sound deadening the inside of the car would probably for the time being one be from under the rear seats back (including the side panels). They both cost the same. The muffler is about $100 +/- and the Dynamat extreme is also about $100 (for 36 feet).
Old 06-22-2005, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I would use a glass pack because of the weight and time of dyno mat, it is very heavy, I used it for sound deadening my dads F350, becaus my mom thought it was to loud so we put it all above the tranny, it helped a little but I think changing the exhaust with a muffler or glasspacked would help more, it will hurt your hp but the dyno mat would prolly hurt you more performance wise
Old 06-22-2005, 09:48 AM

I was always under the impression that Glasspacks/Resonators did not deaden the sound. They simply changed the tone. If this isnt true then which Glasspacks would work best for my situation?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

OP had the buzzing problem then he put in a 28" glasspack so I guess he would be the best to tell you
Old 06-22-2005, 10:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Glasspacks do change the tone, but they change the tone by deadening it and making it have a deeper tone in 95% of cases.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:01 PM

from everything that I have heard about dynamat, it has to be the best thing on the market for getting rid of unwanted noise... my brother uses it and has no complaints... I am going to use as well... but it is a little steep in price. . .
Old 06-22-2005, 12:20 PM

Well I would say the next most important thing to think about is what is more important to you. Would you rather spend more money and time to make it a quietER with the dynamat, and in doing so adding a lot of weight? Or do you want to go the cheaper route which would possibly make it quieter or just change the sound, and risk adding some back pressure with a second muffler. Both would do their part, but both seem to have their setbacks too.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:25 PM

Damned if you do and damned if you dont I guess. Basically I just dont want to spend the cash on a glasspack/resonator and end up having it not fix the problem. Where with the other two they do have their separate draw backs but you are more guarenteed an improvement.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:26 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (night-crawler @ Jun 22 2005, 06:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>from everything that I have heard about dynamat, it has to be the best thing on the market for getting rid of unwanted noise</div>

You need to do some more listening, because you seem to have only heard a lot of Dynamat marketing. I'm saying straight up that it's a RIPOFF. And I have used Dynamat _extensively_ on my last two cars, I'm not speaking without personal experience. Don't be a sucker for slick marketing graphs that "prove" Dynamat is better than their competitors. Unless you like wasting money for the "Dynamat" logo that no one will ever see under the carpet.

Search the major car audio forums. You'll find plenty of sound competition-winning vehicles that have used edead, bquiet, fatmat. They have options just as good at a fraction of the cost, because they don't have to advertise or have their prices jacked up by Crutchfield and Circuit City. For the price of doing just your doors with Dynamat you could do your entire car with one of the aformentioned brands, and they all have a similar butyl mixture with several mils of aluminum layer, depending on which one you go with.

BTW, don't even consider Dynamat Original. It's crap. Stinks for weeks, does not mold to indentations well (breaks apart instead of stretching), heavy, and ridiculously overpriced for what you get. In case you can't tell, I'm disgusted with Dynamat. I bet they were laughing all the way to the bank with my $. I know better now.

You can get a 25" Thrush glasspack for under $30. It should be inexpensive to have it installed at a muffler shop. I would do that first. It helped a lot for my car. It lowers the tone, which in turn lowers the exhaust noise.