Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhaust Help

Old 10-30-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I have a problem. I got a pair of header from a friend, Putted them on my 1999 tib. Took off the cat to do so. drove around for about 2 months and then I got a CEL(check engine light) I just bought a o2 simulator to fix this problem but from what I've read it won't work. My exhaust setup is

Header-2nd Cat-2.25 piping-glasspack-stock piping-magnaflow muffler

I was told to put a high performance cat to make it legal but I was told by a muffler shop that It wouldn't fit. The only way to make it legal was to change back the header.

What I have plan to do next is
Header-2nd cat-2.5 piping-glasspack-2.5 piping-magnaflow

What I need help is, what is a good setup for a 1999 tib that would make it legal to california standards
thats good for performance and not a ricy sound

any suggestions would be great
Old 10-30-2006, 01:56 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

any header for the tibby is illegal for us. There is no legal headers for us and with out the carb legal sticker we would ticketed.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

you don't have to have carb-legal stickers in order to have something be legal..
in order for it to be legal, you have to have a catalytic converter.
in order to pass emissions, you need to have no CELs

what is the code on your CEL?

why would you buy an o2 simulator if you have a cat?
where is your 2nd o2 sensor?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:51 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm running my OBX 4-2-1 headers with the 1st O2 in the #1 runner, then it goes to a Magnaflow cat and the 2nd O2 is put after that. Then it continues on with the MBRP, 2.5" catback and now to a Dynomax single in/ dual out muffler to have duals for the Cuda bodykit. Not sure if I was lucky, but I have been driving with that setup for about 3 months now and absolutely no CEL has appeared. Even when I had just the single MBRP muffler coming out the back, I drove like that for about 1 month also wit hno CEL....It's wierd how some people have problems and others non or not so many.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ Oct 30 2006, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>you don't have to have carb-legal stickers in order to have something be legal..
in order for it to be legal, you have to have a catalytic converter.
in order to pass emissions, you need to have no CELs

what is the code on your CEL?

why would you buy an o2 simulator if you have a cat?
where is your 2nd o2 sensor?</div>

Hes in Cali... in Cali, if something isn't CARB legal and is modified, they can take your car and crush it if they wanted.

You have your o2 sensors in BlackTibby. He doesn't.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:22 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

"Any part altering a vehicle’s emissions must be approved by the California Air Resource Board. A CARB sticker must then be attached to the part. If an officer finds that a CARB sticker is missing, the car is in violation."

http://www.dailynexus.com/news/2004/7276.html

California for emission ownage mad.gif

You will get screwed over for that. And with the bay areas crucial targetting pigs, ur car can be towed because of the violating part...
Old 10-30-2006, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

yup that sucks. and yes, always have sensors to get right readings. one before cat one after. extend them if you need to but have them both in there!!