Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhaust Gains

Old 12-16-2005, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First mod should be done to a tib with auto tranny is a manual tranny swap... your full bolt on auto will be slower than a bone stock 5sp...
Old 12-16-2005, 12:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 tiburon/2000 tiburon

true true and I have everything for the auto to 5 speed swap forsale ready to go...
Old 12-16-2005, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i own an automatif 1997. lemme tell you. i was in your exact postion three months ago. one regret i have is not ordering the motoria, pne plus for you.

have a CAI, i ordered a catco cat, 31' thrush glasspack, 2.25' piping, gt headers, and magnaflow dual chrome tip muffler. i extended both my sensors. listen to this post carefully my man because i was in the very same spot.

i barely noticed anything with my headers and i barely noticed any low end with the full exhaust with the automatic. on highway, sure it pulls a little. switches more aggresively and best sped up when switched down using 3rd gear at 80mph during flooring. i find myself making more bold (but safe) moves and being more confident while making them. and it's easier when driving with passengers because you can't feel them due to the increased airflow/horsepower. the difference i do notice is that it's got SOME low end, and more high end. the higher rpm's and 3rd gear really do the trick BUT, BUT, BUT not by far to their fullest potential meaning my upgrades (costing well over $1200) aren't being used to their fullest power. why? because i cannot use them at high rpm's during low speeds. so there you have it. it's only good when you floor it or when you're on the highway. also i forgot to mention, automatics have torque converters. it takes time for the torque to take effect while 5-speed the torque is directly transferred from gear/tranny to wheels.

i want to swap the tranny so bad. my mech has a 5-speed 2001 tiburon with new transmission/5-speed parts that are just sitting there. but why should i swap trannies when the one i have is still good! i'd have to swap everything and who knows i might be swapping to a worse trany that will give me problems later. that is the ONLY reason i'm not doing it. with my mods if i pur the car in 2nd gear you can feel the car pull. but it's useless while the car is in drive. sure it pulls just a little bit but now with my airram going on for christmas and BBTB it should be a somewhat better--again, not to the fullest potential.

bad idea to modify automatics folks. OP is right, a very highly modded auto can be beat easily, easily by a basic modded 5-speed. probably anywhere from half the cost compared to what you've spent on your car. i'd say keep the trany if it's good. but unless you want your pieces to be used to the maximum performance and not half assed performance then do the trany swap.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'll give you my own personal opinion tomorrow. My pretty little Maintec Racing Headers go in. cool.gif

Hopefully I can beat OP's times with I\H\E come springtime. fing02.gif

The only thorn in my side with the car ATM is the flat spot in HP\TQ that sits between 3500-4500RPM. Coming from my old daily driven car that starts making boost around then, I miss my midrange power.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:00 PM

I won't be surprised if you beat me Ham, my alignment was messed up and I had shitty OBX headers.

My auto XD with I/H/E (stock muffler though) has a nice pull in 1st and second gears, but after that it dies... and as I said earlier, my bone stock Tib was faster than I/H/E auto XD... pathetic...
Old 12-16-2005, 08:07 PM

haha yeah his car was pretty quick even with those OBX headers. he didn't even have a throttle body or polished/bored intake manifold and the car still hauled ass with two passengers. something my car can't even do. when there's two passengers with my auto the only time i can scare them is by tailgating.

autos are pathetic. unfortunately i have one.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:15 PM

dude, you really need to get rid of your good auto tranny.... no matter how good it is, it's bad! It's a freaking auto tranny!!! gosh!
Old 12-18-2005, 10:47 AM

My Motoria came in the mail yesterday! It look absolutely beautiful! The Motoria muffler looks beautiful.. I am going to try and get it on tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:34 PM

told ya! everyone, please do yourselves the same favor when getting an exhaust^ i don't trust stainless steel so i'd sent it for ceramic coating. but if you want to save a BUNCH of money and time, do the right thing. you will always be able to change the muffler if you don't like it.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:25 PM

Motoria sounds great!

Even with an auto my car pulls and pulls and pulls at high RPMs.