Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Equal Length Discussion

Old 11-10-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

So heres what I am thinking about right now. All this talk about equal length and everything and it always sounds like its really great. Well, reading a little there is a lot of controversy on the topic. Mostly because there is always one runner that has way more bends in it in order to get the equal length. Isnt that completely defeating the purpose of equal flow? Just want to see how people view it. Ive never really thought about it until someone at the shop brought it up. Discuss! fing02.gif
Old 11-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Well being as I'm currently reading this as a distraction from fluids mechanics homework.... That is a valid point, the difference in paths would create different head losses.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

I always chuckle when i see "equal length", but since that is a industry name we just go along with it. the only way to be equal in every way is to have 4 equal lengths that run the same angle down and back, but dont connect to a single point since the outside pipes would have to run furthur to get to the same junction point.

basically, individual open header pipes.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I suppose they could call the "very similar length", but that's a PITA. There is a definite difference between the 3 types of manifolds (cast, tubular unequal (or "shorty"), and tubular equal (or "longtube")).
Old 11-11-2008, 01:07 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

Equal Length from what i was taught was is only applied to NA cars due to the thermo dynamics of the na exhaust system. a turbocharged engine is a system under-pressure when you pressurizers the intake you also are pressurizing the exhaust as well. the pressure move the exhaust gases out of the cylinder. as where the pulse move the gases out of the engine in a na setup. thats why in a na setup back-pressure,pipe-size, are all key in making power in na engines. in short you can use some na thinking to turbocharges but not all. and vis versa. the words equal length is used to hook the customer in to the false pretense of "POWER".