Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Engine Troubles. Help?

Old 11-14-2008, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tuscani Tiburon

Hey guys, lately I have been having some troubles with the Tib. I'll be driving normally and all of a sudden, out of no where, my engine will just cut out. RPM's just drop to zero. I can about half the time just put it into neutral and turn the key to start it back up after a few seconds but sometimes i have to pull over (assuming im moving fast enough to) and get out of my car and wiggle my ignition fuse under my hood. That will usually let me start it again. I've never been shut down for more than like 7 mins but as you can guess this is a big issue and is very very annoying. There is no telling when it happens either. It can be fine for days at a time, then do it 6 times in half an hour. Once it does it once, it usually keeps doing it for the rest of that drive though. Occasionally too it will be weird and kinda half start and like sputter at 100 rpms but i cant go anywhere or rev the engine. Im taking it to an autobody electrical shop on thursday but I was just seeing if any of you guys had any input as to what it could be. Oh and I had a minor accident on the fuse box side of the car about a year ago but the problems just started happening like a month or two ago.

Thanks, Blue Bomber
Old 11-14-2008, 01:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, first I'd check your TPS, but I'm leaning away from that on this one.

Sounds like the issue we had on my old RD1, that Role Reversal (then ABQElantra) owned and now Javageek drives.

What are you doing when it happens? Is it right during a shift? Right during a hard acceleration?

Check the TPS first, then get under the drivers side dash and look at the top of the gas pedal arm. You'll see where the throttle cable connects there. On some RD's, the ECU harness goes over there and the gas pedal arm can hit it, wearing the wires and causing a short that instantly kills the engine. Check for clearance or damage.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Good answer, good answer!

If jiggling the IGN fuse gets you going again, see if you can tighten up the contacts on the fuse holder
Old 11-14-2008, 02:16 PM

Like i said, its completely random. Sometimes its done it at a light, sometimes when accelerating (not hard at all), sometimes in neutral, sometimes when slowing down. It can happen at anytime which worries me. But yeah ill check those things. Thanks guys. Labour to fix a car here is so expensive. $150 an hour... 02.gif
Old 11-14-2008, 02:25 PM

Yeah, Cicso, me, ABQElantra, and Hyundai all thought the RD1 issue was completely random too.

it wasn't.

After driving, everything gets warm, after wiring gets warm, it sags...

See where I'm going here? We went through spots where it had no problem for months, then times where it wouldn't start for a week.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^ what ended up fixing it redz.

Maybe an ecu thing? Have you done anything in the engine bay recently? Could be something shorting out.

check your voltages with the car off and idle.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:17 PM

ABQElantra noted that he felt something in the gas pedal I think, no, his foot slipped and his boot hit the wiring harness there, so \that's how he figured it out, then he got under there and repaired all the wiring, and ziptied the harness up out of the way so it wouldn't hit anymore. Problem gone.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:23 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I need to get in there and do some work on my wires. I just keep zipping a wire to the bundle. I need to cut 1/2 of them and rewire them up out of the way.

I thought your problem was a Crank position sensor?
Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 AM

So did we. We'd get an intermittant CKP sensor CEL, because one of the wires getting shorted out went to the CKP. I think that's what was actually stalling it out, is the signal was lost/shorted out, so it cut the fuel, just like a bad CKP.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:24 AM

How it cuts the fuel might sound about right. A few times ive had it so it sort of turns back on but not really. It will idle at 100 rpms and sound horrible and I still cant do anything with it so i have to just turn it off and try again. That sounds as if it was partially getting fuel but not enough to start fully.