Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Engine Hesitation

Old 07-06-2005, 12:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Sorry if this has already been answered, I did a few searches but could not find the topics I needed. My searches probably were not the best since I just got back from a 12 hour drive from Nevada, so mods, please be kind wink1.gif

Ok, so, I just got back from a great weekend in Vegas. But on the way down I noticed that in 5th gear, when I hit about 4100 rmp's, the engine cut back. I made sure the AC was off and accelerated through 4100 rpm's randomly to make sure I wasn't just feeling the fans coming on. Is this a computer thing?? I then began to notice it in 3rd and 4th gear as well. As soon as I go over 4000 rpm's, the engine cuts back. Not a huge loss of power, but definitely noticable. It almost feels like the computer throws a new fuel map after 4000 rpm's that is not as efficient. Thats my guess anyways. I also tried mashing the accelerator to the floor after 4100 rpm's and it was like the computer didn't know what to do. It would go, then cut back a little, surge again, then cut back a little. Has other people noticed this before?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

hmm was your car auto?

i cant remember...

my car does the same thing sometimes

i think its the fan turning off and on
06.gif
Old 07-06-2005, 08:23 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

any vibration? noises?
can engine be reved up to red line on neutral gear?

Maybe the problen is in small gremlins that can't turn pedals (like bycicle) faster than 4100 RPM? lmao.gif
Old 07-06-2005, 10:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

faithofadragon: its a manual. I thought it was the fans, but it just seems to random to be that.

Dmitry: engine can be revved up to redline.

I dont know, maybe I'm crazy. I can definately feel it pull back after 4000 rpm's though. Like I said before, its like a new fuel map is engaged. One that cuts the fuel. I am getting a the 1.8 ecu very soon, so hopefully that will help.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:23 AM

it could very well be a new map

you were in nevada (desert)... so your car would naturally switch to another long trim fuel map and ignition map.

I know my car runs fine here with the haltech, but runs like ass in vegas.

Try resetting your ECU... if it doesnt work.. then we will have to start diagnosing parts.